Answered: changing the pwm deadzone

If the deadzone is created in electronics (processor or motor controller), what component is responsible for the deadzone of the pwm. Is this performed in the formation of the pwm command by the vex processor or is this achieved in the motor controller. How much of the deadzone is caused by motor friction versus electronics?
If I select a USER PWM output, how would I create the same output as the default but with smaller deadzone?

The deadzone is created in the Motor Unit. The unit interrupts the pulse width (from the PWM value) on the control line to determine its output function. The deadzone caused from friction will vary from application to application. To create a smaller deadzone, you would need to determine what range of PWM values causes no movement. In your code, you would need to not send or skip that range of PWM values which would virtually eliminate the deadband.

Well, I was afraid that would be your answer. Would it also be true of the servo controller if we converted it to a motor by removing the potentiometer?

Also, are there any documented modifications to the motor controller that can remove the dz produced by the electronics?

Yes, this is also true for the Servo. The only way to change the deadband is to change to code inside the microprocessor in either the Motor or Servo unit.