Answered: Clarification of <SG9> II

Hi,

I need some further clarifications about <SG9> stated:

<SG9> Robots may not intentionally grasp, grapple or attach to any Field Elements. Strategies with mechanisms that react against multiple sides of a field element in an effort to latch onto said field element are prohibited. (See figures 8-10) The intent of this rule is to prevent teams from both unintentionally damaging the field, and from anchoring themselves to the field. Violations of this rule will result in a Disqualification.

Question:** If my robot’s arm is totally hovering above the trough, or even, touching it while scoring the sacks (or forming a closed loop shown in attached.), will my team be also penalised for the above mentioned?

If not, on what extent will the rule be imposed to teams trying to score? I am aware that referee’s decisions are final, so I hope to be fully clarified on this rule before sending the robot out for competition. Thanks.**
SG9.jpg

The action you’ve described does not violate <SG9> and would not be penalized. There is no effort to latch on or anchor to field elements, and the robot is not in a position to damage field elements.

If a team has made no effort to anchor themselves to the field, and is not in a position to damage the field, teams will not be penalized for violating <SG9>.

thanks for the clarification.

You’re welcome.