Answered: Clarification on <R7> part F

According to <R7>

Robots are allowed the following additional “non-VEX” components:

Would this ruling be violated if multiple layers of plastic sheets were stacked and connected with screws/zipties, increasing the stability of the material. This newly crafted material would then be used for a manipulator on the robot, in hopes of being light and secure.

If this is allowed, and we have issues during inspection of using only 1 sheet of 12"x24"x0.063" thick, may we use a cad model to prove that it does not exceed the material limit?

If cad is not sufficient, may we then use decoration such as markings or tape to divide the plastic, making it easier to identify the individual layers of the plastic? Related rulings will be <R7> part d (“Teams may add non-functional decorations provided that these do not affect the robot performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the match”)

If we may not stack the material, is it safe to assume that we can divide it with 1x25 bars and achieve a similar result?

Provided you do not exceed the material limit, you may arrange the plastic in any way you wish. What you have described is legal. Having a CAD model available is a great option in case the inspectors are unsure if you are within the material limit.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Just curious, but may I ask why plastic has specific demensions if any arrangement is allowed?

The intent of this rule is to limit the amount of plastic used by teams, without excessively limiting the manner in which it can be used.

Sorry, i phrased my question poorly. I mean that why are teams limited by dimensions as well as volume? For example, why cant teams use sheets that are 1/2" thick but with a shorter length to achieve the same volume?

It would be easier to get a cleaner result with a sheet closest to it’s final dimensions.

By limiting the thickness, we’ve limited the applications that plastic can be easily used for. Thicker plastics can require special tools for cutting and manipulating. Our priority is to keep the VRC as accessible as possible for all teams, thus always trying to reduce the reliance on parts outside of the VEX Robotics Design System.

Ah, ok that makes sense. Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!