Answered: Confusion on R1

Your answer on this post has caused some confusion for a couple of reasons and I am looking for some clarification.

The first bit of confusion comes from your answer here with emphasis added:

“VEX Robotics Competition Nothing But Net Game Manual <R1> Only one (1) robot will be allowed to compete per team in the VEX Robotics Competition.”

Do the rules from Nothing But Net carry forward? I am new to Vex and want to know if I need to download the Nothing But Net game manual.

The second bit of confusion comes from your explanation.

“The intent here is not to prevent teams from upgrading or changing their own robots. The intent is to prevent one Robot being used to compete for multiple teams.”

I watched several tournaments last year during the Nothing But Net season and noticed that some teams actually changed the entire robot from one tournament to the next including subsystem 1 and subsystem 2. From the wording of the rule referenced in this year’s game copied below it would seem apparent that either “the VEX Robotics Competition” is talking about a single tournament rather than the whole season meaning that a team cannot completely change system 1 or system 2 during the season once they competed in any tournament. If it is the former, then I really cannot see any way a person can conclude from this rule that a robot cannot be used by two different teams as long as they are at different tournaments. If it is the latter, the rule still does not make that clear, but it would make it clear that once a team uses a robot in one tournament, they cannot completely swap out to a different system 1 or system 2 in future tournaments.

Can you please give some clarity on this?

"<R1> Only one (1) robot will be allowed to compete per team in the VEX Robotics Competition. Though it is expected that teams will make changes to their robot at the competition, a team is limited to only one (1) robot. As such, a VEX robot, for the purposes of the VEX Robotics Competition, has the following subsystems:
Subsystem 1: Mobile robotic base including wheels, tracks, legs, or any other mechanism that allows the robot to navigate the majority of the flat playing field surface. For a stationary robot, the robotic base without wheels would be considered Subsystem 1. Subsystem 2: Power and control system that includes a VEX legal battery, a VEX control system, and associated motors for the mobile robotic base. Subsystem 3: Additional mechanisms (and associated motors) that allow manipulation of game objects or navigation of field obstacles.
Given the above definitions, a minimum robot for use in any VEX Robotics Competition event (including skills challenges) must consist of 1 and 2 above. Thus if you are swapping out an entire subsystem of either item 1 or 2, you have now created a second robot and are no longer legal.
a. Teams may not compete with one robot, while a second is being modified or assembled. b. Teams may not switch back and forth between multiple robots during a competition. "

No, this was a copy and paste error. Thanks for pointing it out. That should have said Starstruck and has been edited to reflect this correct. However the text of the rule is exactly the same.

As stated in the previous thread you referenced:

"Once a Robot (defined as Subsystems 1 and 2) is entered in an event under a given team ID#, the Robot may not compete under any other team ID# at any subsequent event.

The intent here is not to prevent teams from upgrading or changing their own robots. The intent is to prevent one Robot being used to compete for multiple teams."