Answered: <G7> Robot Position vs Configuration

Hello, I have a few situations I’d like to get rulings on before State considering the definition of “position” in <G7>
<G7> is as follow (emphasis added)

Here are a few different situations that I could see arising in a match. The main idea behind this is that the team performing these actions is the lower seed in bracket play, and wants to change their autonomous to react to the opponents’ setup. In none of these cases would the physical orientation or placement of the robot change, just some configuration.

1. Can the lower seeded team, after their opponents have placed, remove or insert jumpers to digital ports or extension cables connected to digital ports? This would have the effect and intention of changing autonomous either interfere or avoid interference with the opponent.

2. Can the lower seeded team, after their opponents have placed, (a) press buttons on an LCD to select an autonomous, or (b) rotate a potentiometer to select an autonomous? Both are common methods, and neither would impact the position of the robot.

3. Can the lower seeded team, after their opponents have placed, use the joystick to select and autonomous? This would involve connecting to the robot by Vexnet, but not plugging into the field yet, so the driver still has control, then pushing a button on the controller which would select an autonomous. In this case, the robot would not move, the joystick would just transmit information to the robot for autonomous selection.

Thank you for answering the Q and A’s throughout the season.

So long as the robots are not repositioned, per the wording of G7, these would all be legal. Please be cognizant of G7 part a, which you did not quote:

The amount of leeway contained within the word “prompt” is at the discretion of the Head Referee and Event Partner. Repeated delays due to choosing between autonomous routines would be considered a violation of this rule.