Answered: lazar pointers

My team wants to use a laser pointer this year for initial setup of the robot. We then got to thinking what other uses we could make out of it. I know it is legal to use the pointer to set the robot up and then take the pointer off before the match starts, but isn’t it considered nonfunctional decoration if it is just mounted to the robot for the duration of the match? that is, the lazar pointer (non vex) would just stay mounted on the robot without being activated other than for initial set-up before the match. To my knowledge, that would not break rule R7d.

Teams may add non-functional decorations provided that these do not affect the robot performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the match. These decorations must be in the spirit of the competition. Inspectors will have final say in what is considered “nonfunctional”.

I am assuming that it would then be illegal if a vex piston turned the lazar pointer on and off while in user control, because it could effect the outcome of the match but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for your time.

No, this would be considered a functional part of the Robot, thus not legal to be on your Robot during the Match.