Answered: Legality of Wires & Connector Repairs

Hi Karthik,

I have a couple of questions regarding the legality of wires and repairing the connectors on those wires. The first question relates to the following rules:

The current VEX wires are with a keyed tab on one side:

However, previous extension wires were without the keyed tab, like this:

So my question that I would like to clarify is that it is legal to use extension cables that are identical to the current cables, but without the keyed tabs? In other words, is it legal to use cables that are completely identical to discontinued/previous versions of products? I don’t think this should be an issue, especially as the currently available Y-Cable uses the non-keyed connectors.

The next question has to do with R15aii

I wanted to clarify exactly what repairs would be legal to make to a damaged connector on a cable. From that rule it seems perfectly legal to remove the wire from the housing, remove the damaged pin, crimp a new identical pin on, and reinsert the pin into the housing. However, would it be legal to replace the plastic housing with an identical one? I’m not completely sure based on the wording of the rule, but this is something that many people have been doing for a long time. Is there a difference if the plastic housing is keyed (identical to the current connector) or non-keyed (identical to connectors on Y-Cable & previous extension cables)?

Of course, the repair would conform to all other conditions of R15aii and be functionally identical to a new wire, so I’m sure that there should no possible issues with this repair procedure.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the long question!

Kevin

Yes, this is legal.

Yes, this would be legal