Answered: <R6b> Field Element Clarification

Hi Karthik!

<R6> Robots may be built ONLY from Official Robot Components from the VEX IQ product line, unless otherwise specifically noted within these rules.

b. Only the VEX IQ components specifically designed for use in Robot construction are allowed. Using additional components outside their typical purpose is against the intent of the rule (i.e. please don’t try using VEX IQ apparel, team or event support materials, packaging, field elements or other non-robot products on a VEX IQ Challenge Robot).

OK…

<R6b> Clearly says that field elements cannot be used on robots. Some of those parts are cross listed as a part as well, and I presume that those would be legal. The 2x12 beams form the Crossover bridge would clearly be legal. Using Hexballs from the Crossover game would clearly not be legal.

So, the 12x12 plates from the Crossover bridge would be legal because those parts can be bought form the product line.

Things get a little hazy for me with the 12x12 plates that were part of the Crossover Goals. They are not part of the product line, they are only a field element, and by <R6b> they are illegal.

I seem to remember that there was a post somewhere that had a ruling on this that allowed anything with the IQ Pitch hole pattern, but I just can’t find it. If you could include some more clarifying language in the update I would appreciate it. I’m sorry if this is a duplicate post!

The 2x12 beams form the Crossover bridge would clearly be legal. Using Hexballs from the Crossover game would clearly not be legal.

So, the 12x12 plates from the Crossover bridge would be legal because those parts can be bought form the product line.

These are all correct.

Things get a little hazy for me with the 12x12 plates that were part of the Crossover Goals. They are not part of the product line, they are only a field element, and by <R6b> they are illegal.

The 12x12 plates that were used in the Crossover goals are actually also used in the VEX Robotics Ambush Striker by HEXBUG, and are thus legal per <R6d>.