Answered: Updated: Legal interactions with field perimeter for Elevation

Karthik,

Could you, please, clarify legal ways of interacting with the field perimeter for the purposes of elevation.

Which sides of the field perimeter are considered to be legal to touch by lifting or lifted robot? Top sides? Inner walls? Outer walls?

Could two walls (i.e. North and East) be touched at the same time, given that robot contacts only one side of each wall?

Thanks

This ruling has been updated based on the June 15th manual update. Please see the updated post below, from June 15th, for the current ruling.

You may touch any side you wish, provided that you have not grasped, grappled, attached, clamped, etc. to the field walls.

Yes, however the same caveats from above apply. We do not want you attaching to the field walls in any way.

I still have a few questions.

Is the top sides of the field perimeter considered to be inside of the Climbing Zone?

For example, is it legal for one or both robots to be pushing with some stand onto the top side of the perimeter wall and

1. still be able to extend above 18" high plane (obviously, in the last 30 sec of the match)?

2. still be eligible for the elevation points?

Also, when you say “attach” is it in a sense that you don’t want anybody to mechanically grasp perimeter or in any sense of attachment? (Because, hypothetically, somebody could build a VRC legal electromagnet out of high strength axles and lots of wires and “attach” to a single wall surface).

This ruling has been updated based on the June 15th manual update. Please see the updated post below, from June 15th, for the current ruling.

Don’t worry, I still have some answers. :slight_smile:

Yes.

Any type of attachment is prohibited.

Last question. Does <SG14> clause of prohibiting reacting with multiple sides applies only to latch in a sense of grasping?

What I mean is if a robots puts a stand on the top side of the perimeter, then is it legal to push onto the side wall from the inside?

The concern is that, if it is not allowed, then it creates a safety risk of the stand slipping and falling outside of the field perimeter.

This is a tough one for us to answer without seeing more details. However, in general, any device which is reaction upon multiple sides of a field element, would undergo heavy scrutiny as per <SG14>.

For example, consider that one of the robots places support arm on the field perimeter:

https://vexforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9285&d=1430338729

The left variant would be legal under current reading of <SG14>, but will present slip concern if something doesn’t go according to plan.

The right variant includes an extra red support. While not complaint with <SG14> by letter, it does comply with it by spirit, because it doesn’t grip on the perimeter.

If something goes wrong with the right design, it might still fall inside perimeter, but there is very small chance that it will fall outside.

I didn’t put all the details in the image but, if my guess is correct, this type of setup might be common, and the center of gravity could be high enough to think about the safety concerns.

Edit: Now that I though about it, probably, it is not going to be more of a concerns than some of epic falls in Skyrise.

Edit2: Actually, never mind, I looked at my own picture and realized it is not a concern, all students have to do is to leave some space between red part and the wall. If positioning is precise - it will not touch the wall. If something goes wrong it just will touch the wall, the fall will not occur and they might just lose eligibility for some points.

Thank you, I think everything is very clear now.
sg14_supports.png

The June 15th update involved changes to the definitions of Low and High Elevating. Full details can be found here:

https://vexforum.com/showpost.php?p=384312&postcount=3