AP testing during worlds

This year, HS worlds is 5-7 May which covers an AP testing week
Wednesday, May 4, 2022 (Fly in date for some people)
English Literature and Composition, Comparative Government and Politics, Computer Science A

Thursday, May 5, 2022
Human Geography, Macroeconomics, Statistics

Friday, May 6, 2022
European History, United States History, Art History, Microeconomics

(Math and Science parts are the following week).
How many roboteers would want to have RECF offer AP testing that week?

• I’m an AP student, but not those areas
  • Yes I’d love to test there, otherwise I can’t go to Worlds
  • No, I have a backup test plan, but thanks for offering

0 voters

6 Likes

If it came down to it, I’d probably skip economics, but if they’re offering I’d take it.

2 Likes

Worth noting that many colleges/universities in the US have finals week during that time frame, in addition to AP test concerns for HS students.

15 Likes

Comp Sci A is also on May 4, which will most likely be registration, which really sucks. Half of my APs are covered during VEX Worlds.

1 Like

One question Foster did not ask, but should be asked:

Should RECF work to have Worlds be an approved AP test site?
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

2 Likes

and follow on:

If Worlds is an approved AP test site:
  • I would take AP tests at venue
  • I would NOT take AP tests at venue

0 voters

2 Likes

I edited to add that, thanks for the update.

1 Like

Do you really wanna stress about your AP exam, that you would have to take AT Vex Worlds? That doesn’t seem like a fun time to me.

7 Likes

Our high performing teams are excellent anywhere :slight_smile: So why keep them hostage at home for AP when…

6 Likes

Better than missing worlds because you shelled out an obscene amount of money instead to a “non-profit.”

15 Likes

just take tests at a later date collegeboard offers. more study time and you get to go to worlds.

4 Likes

There’s little chance they do 4 administrations of the test like they did last year. If they do more administrations of the test, that means there’s more test questions they have to write, meaning there’s less of a profit margin “test security, since we all know College Board is a non-profit.”

2 Likes

Dates are already posted

4 Likes

This, I think, is the best option, and the one I will be doing.

1 Like

Huh. Well, problem solved I guess. I’m amazed College Board is letting 5 different administrations happen.

1 Like

Just want to park this in as well (even though I don’t think the numbers from Singapore will make difference in their decision making) - 1st and 2nd week of May has always been the mid-year exam period for Singapore schools.

I would rather worlds stick to the usual late Apr period or late May (so that exam/test will be over for most of the students.

4 Likes

If you need me and Foster to proctor exams - pretty sure we can do it :slight_smile:

outside of box thinking!

5 Likes

I would rather forego my credits

7 Likes

Honestly, unless you are an A++ student who knows that you are going to get a 4 or higher on an AP exam, AP testing doesn’t really mean crap once you move on to college. Most times, you would need a 4 or higher to get a class guaranteed to be waived. Other times, you merely have to say “I have taken X class”, regardless if AP or not, to your advisor and you can pretty much move to that level in college immediately. (I even dropped BC Calculus in high school, but I told my advisor that I at least did a semester of the class. So she moved me straight into Calculus 1, one class ahead of my peers in my academy)

Do not worry if there are moments where you may miss out on an AP exam. Because honestly, it has little value if you take it. What is more important is that you learn from the AP class, which is a much higher quality than regular classes.

2 Likes

Wish I can say this to the Singapore parents…

14 Likes