AP testing during worlds

assuming you get a teacher…

which totally didn’t happen to me two years ago and might happen this year again where i don’t have an actual teacher for half the year haha that’d be crazy

The biggest issue with American Education is there is multitude of second chances offered, which can cause individuals to slack off at times, thinking that they should rely on the last chance offered. But, if students are wanting a faster way to get into their degree program with our system, unless they are the cream of the crop, then they should consider dual-enrollment as a better alternative.

I feel as though if students are not wishing to go to an elite university, they should consider Dual Enrollment as a more viable solution to pretty much guarantee college credit. Literally the credit is pass-fail, and will not affect the GPA (But note that if you withdraw during the year you will get a permanent W on your college transcript, but if the W is from a class unrelated to the major then you do not have to worry about being scrutinized when applying to a degree. I got admitted into a 5% chance degree program despite a W on my record). But, yet again, if you pass the class in High School you pretty much garuntee yourself college credit from the college you dual-enroll into. If I did not withdraw from my dual-enrolled History course in High School, I would have been able to transfer the free credit from Houston Community College into Texas A&M University.

Peer-to-peer reviews should be beneficial to prevent this from happening. Not to mention, if you have a 504 you may have a possibility of asking your advisor if you can take a specific class with X teacher.

3 Likes

No, the problem is they straight up did not have a teacher then… and as it stands they don’t have a teacher now.

On a completely unrelated note if anyone here is qualified to teach APES we probably have a job opening unless they’ve already found someone and are just finalizing everything… please let that be the case

1 Like

Thats… not true lol.

AP classes save you thousands of dollars in the long run. I wanna say I saved around 5 to 10k, and I didn’t even take that many. Also the logic you use regarding Calculus BC makes no sense. Traditionally, Calculus BC goes over the content of Calculus 1 and 2 and gets you credit for both, so even if you never took the class in the first place you still could have started with Calculus 1.

Granted, the impact of AP classes varies heavily depending on major, but making the fair assumption that a majority of robotics competitors will go into engineering or CS, I can say from experience that APs will make an incredibly beneficial impact.

13 Likes

That’s weird, if you took Calc AB, then you should have been placed in Calc 2, since Calc AB is equivalent to Calc 1. Also, what do you mean when you say that class was one ahead of your peers? Usually high school math tracks prep students to enter college in Calc 1.

2 Likes

I agree. I went into college (mechanical engineering degree) with enough credits to skip almost a whole semester of classes, as well as most of my gen ed credits covered. I only have to waste time in one more humanities course, instead of 5. Yes, some of the tests were not helpful, but the ones that did really saved me time and money.

Tip: Don’t sweat AP Physics if you’re going to ASU for engineering, it won’t count. Do, however, try to get a 5 in AP Chem lol

3 Likes

In Houston Community College academy program, our advisor would tell all of the students who went through Pre-Calculus in High School to retake the class again in college (I believe this is to possibly re-iterate the curriculum as many high school math courses are mediocre and they wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page). I was about to take Pre-Calculus in college despite getting a B in Precal in High School, until I told my advisor that I took BC Calculus then she moved me up to Calculus 1. Honestly, you are right. That honestly is weird.

My route is not as much for the sake of saving time, but rather taking the smallest risk possible to save money, while at the same time providing little stress. While being in the academy program at Houston Community College, I merely had to spent roughly 1.5K (correction from 2k, after checking my spending) each semester to get core curriculum out of the way, while another 1K during a semester goes towards taking a Texas A&M University course for the Engineering field.

This means I only spend 5K each year, with the addition that I can choose if I want my HCC courses to be online or in-person to further alleviate stress, while at the same time having the same opportunity as the others. I do not care how quickly I get out of college, because all it may mean is one additional year as compared to my peers. But the difference, really, is that I had the capability to enjoy most of my time in the education system without being stressed or having extreme burnout. I am honestly happy, and it is quite surprising that despite taking a unique route as compared to the status quo I found myself in a position that gives me the opportunity to have more options in my classes alongside the time to make my own software’s and programs.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan dude

1 Like

Sounds to me like a good alternative is to dual-enroll at the local community college rather than deal with extra AP tests. All four of my kids took 151 and higher level English, math, and humanities classes at community college during their junior and senior years of HS. No question about college credit, since they were college courses on their transcripts. Three of my kids transferred over 60 credit hours to University of Michigan-Dearborn, and my youngest will be transferring 90 credit hours to Wayne State University via a 3+1 agreement between Wayne State and the community college. Lots of money savings! A bonus: in Michigan, one semester of college counts as full year of HS, so there’s more time for robotics!

9 Likes

It is true…
Why would most students spend $100-150 if they know that they are going to get a 3 or lower on the AP exam, which won’t give them their designated credit at the college? At that point it would have been a better alternative to go for dual-enrollment which most high schools offer it for free, while you can pocket the $150 from initially spending for the AP exams when you move to college.

Bear in mind, “saving” does not mean you “save” X money at X college. If you take 4-5 courses in community college you only have to spend $1.5K then you transfer the credits to a more prestigious institution. If I did AP, and I am mediocre then chances are I would only save $350 for one course I got a 4 on, while the rest would be all 3’s. But, because I spent $100-150 to take each AP exam I may actually have a net loss instead of saving money. If I truly wanted to almost garuntee my shot at getting college credit, I would take as many dual enrollment courses as possible. I believe it is not a fair assumption that “AP Saves Money” when that only applies to the top 1-5% of the class.

3 Likes

You seem to be under the assumption that only 1-5% of students taking AP tests score a 4 or above on most tests. Do you have any statistics to back this up?

5 Likes

Computer Science is a heavily demanded course for colleges, but for whoever can squeeze their way through would find lots of benefits from it, far more than a “I saved X amount of money” which will get easily trumped from the 75-100K income after graduation for Computer Science grads. What is more important in Computer Science degree programs should not be as much to save money, but to actually have the capability to be admitted into the major which has a low supply and high demand for its teaching programs.

I just threw a number out based upon “whatever”…
Here are the actual numbers: Still a low chance, especially considering that only 40% of high schoolers have taken an AP class:

An estimate that was about an order of magnitude off from reality.

Secondly, you are assuming that no college will give credit for anything less than a 4 on an AP test, which just isn’t true in my experience. Ultimately, if you do end up taking an AP class, you actually have a pretty good chance of getting college credit, provided you actually study.

12 Likes

3’s only really apply to Community Colleges for the most part. If you get credit from community college with a 3, chances are you may need to retake the course when you go to a university as it may not be transferred in more prestigious places.

Even if it is 15-20%, it does not compare to the near-garunteed credit when it comes from dual enrollment. It just does not, by a landslide, compare.

You can go to Harvard “If you actually study” too. But there is a greater chance you will get rejected, as compared to admitted, from them, right? Theres a higher chance you will not receive credit from AP as compared to dual-enrollment. It’s common sense and my case still stands.

Connor, are you aware that 63% of students that take the Calculus BC test get a 4 or a 5?
I wouldn’t quite call that “only the A++ students”

8 Likes

Do you have any evidence to support this? For example, my university accepts a 3 for about half of the AP tests they give credit for:
https://catalog.asu.edu/credit_exam#AP

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? From my perspective, having to learn (for example) Calc BC concepts in one semester in a college level class seems significantly harder than learning roughly the same amount of material in a full school year’s worth of time in an AP class.

Anecdotally, all of my college math classes have been far more difficult than the classes I took in high school, mainly owing to the significantly reduced learning time that we had. Every one took far more effort on my part to do well in than the math classes I took in high school.

4 Likes

Not that it changes the argument a whole lot, but from my experiences with dual enrollment, most dual credit classes (especially the ones in the UT Austin OnRamps program) are typically semester classes stretched out to a year, especially for math and science classes.

5 Likes

Common sense…
I said “you may need to retake.” Not “you will need to retake.”

I already provided my “evidence” in earlier posts.

If you are struggling, you can take your math classes in Community College instead, then transfer the credit over to your university if the curriculum appears to be too difficult. But, univerisites may only accept math credits up to a specific level from community colleges.

Fun is not something I’m taking into account for a 3 hour test that I’ve studied all year for that could literally mean thousands of dollars in college credit.

9 Likes

Common sense doesn’t necessarily apply when every college has a different standard for what scores they’ll take for what class.

what.

He’s saying the college math classes are harder… why would he opt out of the high school classes to take the harder, more expensive class in college?

2 Likes