Asia Pacific Competition 2012 (in New Zealand)

We have had to change the venue for the Asia Pacific Competition that will be held in New Zealand in December. :mad:

It will now be held at:-
The TelstraClear pacific Event Centre
770 Great South Road
Manukau
Auckland

We appologise for any inconvenience this may cause but it is beyond our control.

Robot Events Links:
Middle School Link
High School Link

Yes we will be streaming both events!

From the nz teams I have spoken to they believe that the tournament shouldn’t be streamed and I was just wondering what the benefits/ reason behind streaming the matches.

To be honest I think the event SHOULD be streamed. Even if it wasn’t, I’m almost certain video would be leaked/released. By streaming the event, it creates more publicity for the generous sponsors, and makes the event generally more epic for those taking part. Also, everyone gets to watch, which is cool for viewers.

For an event this big, it is almost an expectation that it will be streamed, and I’m sure everyone involved doesn’t want to disappoint.

I think a lot of New Zealanders (and probably lots of Singapore/China teams too) are almost resigned to the fact that their designs will be copied, and would much rather discourage copying rather than not streaming the whole event.

I completely agree, big event should be streamed :slight_smile:

One question i do have is, we two have fairly competitive Year 9 teams - one of which competed in the middle school division at gateway worlds, are they eligible for entry into the middle school division? Because from what i understand, they must compete in High School worlds in 2013

I also think it should be streamed. Just the thrill for all the teams involved in it would bring happiness to me! They put so much work into these amazing designs and they are proud of their robots! Let there be streams!

I too, think that it should be streamed. It is a rather large competition and someone will probably post videos anyway. Why not create buzz by streaming it. It is also considerably late in the season so teams will have time to develop their own ideas before they think about copying.

I like streamed events though :smiley:

• Andrew

So i guess with the overwhelming support for the stream I am proved wrong. I must have just only talked to people that weren’t in support and now we only see people that are in support of streaming. I hope you guys all have a good time at the tournament.

I like streamed events also.

Anyway, back on topic, the changing of the venue is a bit of a pain, Hopefully we can cancel our previous accommodation and find somewhere closer. Still, the events centre is always a brilliant venue for nationals, so I’m glad its taking place there :).

When I first saw the email yesterday morning, i almost jumped out of my chair.
But after looking at the website and some research, I realised that it is not going to make any difference to our lodging plan.

So well… doesn’t really matter actually :slight_smile:

Thought there isn’t much accommodation around that area?
Maybe I should have consulted you guys for recommendations instead of relying on internet…

At the moment, we are still going to be based in Auckland city itself…

Well concidering the event is in december, i dont really think theres anything to ‘hide’ anymore
All the other areas would have more than enough time to ‘test their own ideas’

It would seem so.

Not our region! The first tournament here is in mid-december.
We won’t be doing any copying of the NZ teams, though. Our robot is already fully assembled. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not sure where you are from but the best idea is to stay in Auckland central as there is far more to do there in the evenings and more restaurants etc

Every year so far that I have competed in VRC, the NZ Nationals has been held in the Telstra Clear Pacific Events Centre and I personally feel like although it is a little further away when driving, it is a fabulous venue - one of my favourites, if not my favourite. It works really well for the competitions :slight_smile:

I think staying in the City is a great idea, and it’s not too far from the events centre so it should be fine. The only problem is that you’ll need to make sure that you give yourselves plenty of time to drive there, since Auckland traffic can get pretty horrendous at rush hour, especially the closer you get to the city centre.

As for the live streaming, I think it is a good idea to stream large events too, it brings some great interest for the overseas teams. And anyway, for an event in December, if other teams do build similar designs, the chances are that us Kiwi teams will have already made the next game breaking adjustment, and there isn’t much time for many of the other teams to perfect the designs.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to a really great event :slight_smile:

~George

I am from Singapore… 8059 :slight_smile:

And yes… we figured that out as much… we will have all the eateries and shopping at central :slight_smile:

How do you know that some teams haven’t already developed similar robots on their own? After all, great minds think alike. :wink:

I didn’t say that other teams haven’t developed similar robots at all. As a matter of fact I am certain they already have.

~George