AURA Glenfield Gateway Quiz

While we were at the Glenfield Gateway Scrimmage, we put up a small quiz question to test teams’ understanding of the rules, with a prize of 1x 275-1024. While it’s a pretty implausible scenario, it did help cover a couple of gaps in general knowledge, most importantly about multiple special barrels and if robots are touching them.

Here is the question:
“A 30″ goal has the following objects in it at the end of the match, from the top:

• White doubler barrel
  • Red ball
  • Black negator barrel
  • White doubler barrel
  • Blue ball
  • Blue barrel
    Additionally, a blue robot is touching the top white doubler barrel, and a red robot is touching the black negator barrel. What is the final score of this goal?”

See this post to get the flowchart, which will help you find the right answer: http://www.aura.org.nz/archives/690

No prizes online unfortunately, but feel free to post your answer and your explanation of the answer below. I’ll post the correct answer in a couple of days.

Red gets 1 point, Blue gets 9 points. I think:cool:

Reasoning.
Ignore top white doubler barrel only 1 counts.
One red ball, one point for red.
Red touching negator, no effect on red, doubles score for each blue tube
Double doubles all blue tubes
Blue tube (4 points)(1 point, doubled with first doubler, doubled again due to red touching negator)
Blue tube (5 points) (Same as above but 1 point bonus for being first)

Are you sure the double from the negation counts as well as the double from the doubler?

Looked at the rules, and ignoring the part about doubling a doubled score (for know) I think that the second part of the chart is a bit messed up based on High School rules. Looking at the rules it says

Chart with possible revisions:

This has just got confusing. :confused:

I believe that red touching the negator merely negates red’s score only.

In this case, according to <SG8>, the top doubler barrel has no effect because there is a doubler lower down. The remaining doubler and negator would cancel each other out except that red is touching the negator meaning it only negates their score. Doubling blue’s score, we have Blue: 6, Red: 0. I’m not positive, but I think that’s how it should be interpreted.

Ya that’s what i thought. I never remembered seeing anything about doubling points if you are touching a negation.

Yeah I think their flow chart is wrong. Their flow chart states that if red is touching the negation barrel, blue’s score is doubled. However, <SG3b> states that if red is touching a negation barrel, it negates only their score while leaving blue’s score constant.

Note: the flow chart is not wrong.

Oh I see what you did. You combined the two outcomes into one box. In that case the score should be Blue: 6, Red: 1.

It’s either 1-5 or 1-6 depending on when the doubler barrel is taken into account, before the 1 point bonus or after.

6-1 is the correct answer:

• The top doubler barrel is not counted at all, as it is the second doubler barrel in that goal and not the closest to the floor. Whether the robot is touching it or not is completely ignored.
  • The black negation barrel is being touched by the red robot, so its effects only apply to the red alliance. A good way to think about this is to look at how the doublers/negators are viewed by each alliance:
  • The Red alliance sees a doubler and a negator, which cancel each other out, so their score is unaffected.
  • The Blue alliance sees only a doubler since the effects of the negator do not apply to them, so their score is doubled.
  • The +1 point bonus is applied before doubling.

Therefore:
Red ball = 1 point for red alliance
Blue ball = 2 points for blue alliance
Blue barrel (at the bottom) = 4 points for blue alliance

Final score for this goal is 6-1 to the blue alliance.

Thank goodness for that clear explanation.

Alright, so after some long thought and misinterpretation of the rules, I finally arrived at the answer haha. Well hopefully this will never happen in a match.

Using the official VEX Gateway Circular Goal Scoring Flowchart I concluded a goal score of 8-1 for the Blue Alliance.

~Jordan

EDIT: My diagram I created for myself of the scenario screwed me up. No, it is not 8-1, instead 6-1. :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry guys. (Note to self: Write down “N” for Negation, not “B” for Black; “B” for Blue can interfere… :P)

We used both flowcharts and got the same answer so assumed ours was just as good =P