Autonomous robot round - question

Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask a small question. Are you allowed to move the robot back to the starting position in the middle of the programming skills match? If so, are there any conditions? Anyone have any tips on the most efficient route for a large catapult robot to take? Thanks!

1 Like

You are not allowed to interact with your robot once the autonomous period starts except for introducing match loads. The conditions about this rule is they must be in one field tile and can not be rolled or placed so they are touching your robot until they come to a stop.

1 Like

This is VexIQ (your’re thinking VRC).

@6th_47W Take a look at page 28 in the game manual for rule RSC7.
Game Manual

7 Likes

I believe they are talking about IQ, in which case you are allowed to do this.

2 Likes

Ah I see, my bad. The statement above is true in VRC and not in VIQC as pointed out by @Hudsonville_Robotics and @xTigr

1 Like

Thanks man! Anyone have any tips on coding the robot for the programming skills match or what route or starting position is best?

For strategies, it depends on your robot’s capabilities. I recommend looking at what other teams with similar robot designs are doing. You can find some good skills runs by searching “pitching in auton skills” on youtube. As far as programming goes, it mostly depends on how comfortable you are with coding. If you are new, I would recommend just sticking with the basic drive functions. But if you are a little more experienced, you can try using different sensors such as a gyro.

1 Like

Last question, How many balls can a robot carry at a time? I heard 2, but i see videos of robots with up to 4

According to <G19> from the game manual, the number of balls you can have is only limited to 2 while you are hanging.

<G19> Ball control is limited while Hanging. Robots which are not contacting the Floor may control a maximum of two (2) Balls.

In the context of this rule, “control” implies that the Robot is manipulating the Balls, not simply touching them. For example, if a Ball moves with the Robot either vertically or while turning, then the Robot is “controlling” the Ball. Other synonyms for “control” could be “hold”, “possess”, “support”, “lift”, or “carry”.

There is no restriction on the number of Balls a Robot may control at any other point during the Match. However, a Robot which is controlling more than two (2) Balls must remove any excess Balls from their Robot before leaving contact with the Floor.

Minor, momentary, or incidental violations of this rule that do not affect the Match will result in a warning. Score affecting offenses will result in a Disqualification. Teams that receive multiple warnings may also receive a Disqualification at the Head Referee’s discretion.

2 Likes

xTigr is correct in this. However to clarify the point, so long as your robot is touching the ground, you can carry as many balls as you want.

There is no restriction on the number of Balls a Robot may control at any other point during the Match.

3 Likes