Autonomous Tips

Hey, I’m Marshall from 11761B - Blaze. I was wondering if I could get any tips for building an autonomous program, because we use a dr4b, and I didn’t know if I should use any IME’s or axle encoders to be able to calculate the height I want the arm to go, or if I should just use timing instead. If I could get any help that would be appreciated.

It depends. Are you just lifting it once? Time may do the trick. If you are moving it multiple times or it is crucial that it is at the right spot, use sensors. According to most but not all people, quad encoders are the most reliable. They will, however, cost you two sensor slots. A potentiometer should work fine with a DR4B, but taking up only 1 slot. Beware, they can break more easily. An integrated encoder may work too, although some have had issues with them in the past. Even if you only move the arm once or twice in autonomous it could still help to have sensors for a better driving experience depending on how you program them. In all, having an extra sensor on your robot shouldn’t hurt, and you may decide to use it in the future. Just make sure they don’t inhibit the mechanism from performing the way it was before.

RE: Taking up two slots. I’ve never run into a situation where someone has used every single sensor slot on their robot. I have 2 quads for my drive, a pot for my claw and a quad for my lift; I can’t think of how one would use more than several sensors

One of my MS team has filled all digital slots - 2 quads, three limits, two bumpers, two LED, one jumper - not saying it is optimal, but it serves their design well.

They still have to explore analog world.

One of my MS team has filled all the digital slots - 2 quads, three limits, two bumpers, two LED, one jumper - not saying it is optimal, but it serves their design well.

Still have the analog world for them to explore :slight_smile:

I am looking for help getting started with Robotc. I have a program that can’t exit a follow-line loop. I need help if someone can take a look at my code.

Looking for someone that can help a rookie at RobotC

Sure, many of us will be glad to help. Just make sure to stop posting in all of the other threads, and start a new one specifically for your problem.

Start a new thread with your current code that isn’t working, and we’ll find the issue