Award Overlaps at State?

Hi! It’s our first season and first time at state (Region 4 TX), do the teams that win Innovate/Think/Amaze normally overlap with TC/TF, Excellence, or Design? And if so, are the remaining spots pulled from skills? How many WC spots can we expect to come from skills? Thanks!

As teams can only earn one judged award the main overlap is between judged (including excellence) and performance awards. Assuming you are in HS, where 5 judged awards and 5 performance based awards, where TC and TF are counted as two each, I’d estimate that 1 or 2 of the performance winners would get a judged award based on my experience.

3 Likes

If a team earns two world qualification spots at a regional event, the alternate world spot will be awarded to the team at that event with the highest skills score that is not already qualified.

Edit: Revised answer to omit event specification.

2 Likes

The actual correct answer to this question (as far as I’m aware) is that world championship double qualifications in your region championship will be pooled to the REGIONAL skills rankings. So if a team wins the tournament, skills champion, and excellence, there will be two spots given to the skills list.

Only at signature events are double qualifications sent to the event skills list.

https://www.roboticseducation.org/documents/2020/08/recf-qualifying-criteria.pdf/

8 Likes

And then there’s a few Texas teams already qualified. Any award they win would go to the regional skills list

2 Likes

Also, one more judged award, the Build award will probably be added since the worlds allocation was upped to 11 last week.

Yup, 29560X is the one already qualified in our region who will probably win Tournament Champion or Finalist and that spot will go to skills.

Also 151T will probably win an excellence (or maybe design/think) and their skills will overlap.

1 Like

Same with our region. My team and another team qualified at a signature event which essentially let our region get another two spots since none get absorbed.

2 Likes

151T is likely to win robot skills and think for connected reasons. They are also likely to win excellence or design for indirectly related reasons. They also have a good chance and finalists or champions. (They are really good.) This plus the always great 29560X team having already secured a place at worlds… @CSpencer points out that duplicate spots go to season best skills scores, but realistically, everyone capable of a good score is at the event, and they should improve their score.

Long story short, 2 to 4 teams on the EVENT skills rank list will advance, because those will also be season best scores.

2 Likes

It certainly makes a lot more since to consider region standings since the order may not be correct and sometimes team don’t match their max score. Just looking at the skills ranking within the championship event is not an accurate way at figuring out who will be getting a worlds qualification.

2 Likes

I agree. I just know these teams and suspect they will improve their scores. The ones already at the top will have focused on improving skills in particular between the last event and the regional.

if I may ask, what team are you on @Daq

1 Like

Bro we’re on the same team :man_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t5:

2 Likes

so for a region like california and a team in norcal wins two world qualifying awards would they look at just norcal or all of cali skills standings?

It’s based on your Event Region. So double qualifications would consider all of the scores posted by teams who are registered in NorCal

2 Likes

Just NorCal. The team with the highest combined skills score not already qualified would get the spot.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve paid too much attention to exactly how California is split, but here’s how it has worked in the past in general. In states where the regions are geographically defined, it is specific to that region. In states where teams choose which regional to attend it has been statewide.

3 Likes

Ok so a hindsight analysis for OPs question about TX Region 4.

The overlaps were:

1. Cerulean blue 29560X - signature event, amaze award, tournament champ
  2. Basement dwellers 151T - skills champ, tournament champ, excellence
  3. Austin Cans 2158X - Build, Tournament Finalists

So a total of 5 spots that went to skills.
Now on skills, 1,2,3,4 (meeeee),6,7 already qualified through awards. The 5 extra spots go to 5, 8, 9, 10, 11.
11 is 160 points in skills.

Disclaimer

From memory, they haven’t posted to robotevents yet

1 Like

This matches what I see. Errybody, keeps an eye on yo in box.

Yeah that sounds right. My team was 2 in skills but our 2 other teams were 8 and 9 and still qualified. Does it normally go this deep into the skills list or was this a one-off?

1 Like

I heard many regions got an extra spot this year, which for some states opens up more judged awards to qualify. I think it’s safe to assume that teams who qualify through performance awards are also likely to qualify through judged awards as well, so with more judged awards, the greater chance there is for a double qualification. With more double qualifications comes worlds qualifications going deeper into the skills list. I guess it all depends on your region.

3 Likes