Alright, I want to reflect on the fact that although many say I have good build quality, it comes from lots and lots of redesigns and iterations. Just for jokes and giggles, with the addition of reflecting on the massive improvement your team has made from over time, post some of the wackiest, crazy robots that you believed would’ve either done well in competition or what you believed would’ve “broken the game,” or your robot had build quality so questionable you start to realize “I cannot believe I started out like that.” Allow me to begin.
Starstruck Early Season
In The Zone Early Season
Honestly, the fact that you think you’re even scrubbier than me is just dissapointing.
Yeeeeaaah boi get a load of this garbage
This: VEX Starstruck Single-motor dumper experiment
I feel it could have won the Worlds if they suddenly changed max number of motors from 12 to 3 the night before the competition!
Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot about another 3 motor robot from ITZ:
You always have to be frugal with motors and wheels, you know…
That’s still way better than anything I could make
Not going to lie I was trying to holecount that robot when I was a freshman.
@Connor you forgot your sacrilegious half rd4b from Itz
I remember seeing that and thinking ‘I can’t tell if this guys an idiot for doing this or a genius for getting it to half work’
This year how not to mod a clawbot it now doesn’t even hold the cubes. I previously put this in stupidest things done in vex but the build quality of this is abysmal
the depressing thing is that this half dr4b actually impresses me
why is this thing in the bad robots thread?
I know the tourney score mightve sucked a bit (i can’t read tourney scores) but that’s honestly still pretty impressive.
Nah, that robot was really bad. At that tournament it hit a total of 0 flags and stacked a total of like 3 caps.
Overall it was really jankily built and my driving was also not very good.
Get a load of this monstrosity
take a look at my past robots:
terrible pic, but its the only one I got.
4m X drive
2m lift (I think)
what I did wrong:
- my claw gears were cantilevered,
- my lift had one motor on the driver gear, and another motor on a different sized idler gear
- I didn’t use the x drive to strafe at all (just thought it looked cool)
- the claw was 1:1 and it always died
- the shafts on the lift were held together with zipties to stop gear slipping
- drive wheels were cantilevered
- terrible driving
- all keps nuts
- clamping shaft collars
what I did right:
- the design itself was actually one of the good designs of the season, and I came up with it independently of everyone else, since back then I had no connection with robotics teams outside of my middle school. didn’t even youtube robots then.
- nothing else
In The Zone
This season was significantly better, and the highlight of my middle school career.
but this bot was still garbage.
2m mogo lift
things I did wrong:
- it was basically an upgraded clawbot
- drive motors on the outside of the chassis (amazingly none of them broke off)
- used the big boy wheels on the drive. yeah that didn’t go well, we lost our only comp due to drive burnouts.
- no bearings on the mogo lift, which ended up carving out a half inch hole in my chassis
- the design itself sucked.
- couldn’t do 20 pt zone
Things I did right:
- had god tier driving. I spend an hour a day driving for like half the season. I scored as fast as that robot was physically capable of. (not a lot, but still…)
- almost won my local middle school tournament (drive died during finals)
- made an auton for the first time
2m passive flagpole aligners/low flag scorers (actually pretty lit)
What I did wrong:
- cantilevered drive wheels
- back loading intake
- really bad firing arc
- catapult too weak
- not enough driver practice
What I did right:
- decent build quality
- really cool passive flagpole aligners/low flag scorers/cap descorers
- decent auton
- generally not terrible
What I did wrong:
- choked in finals
- no tower scoring
What I did right:
- actually decent robot
- ranked 1 in recent comp
- made it to finals
- good driver practice
- got us to states on a 19 pt skills run cause double qual stuff
You can really see how far I’ve come, especially between itz and tp. I mean, I’m actually smart enough to use all of my motors now lol.
I’m actually sort of proud of my TT robot, but if it’s not good enough to get tc at a semi-competitive event, then it’s not good enough at all tbh. my next iteration is going to be way better.
When you REALLY don’t want to leave the ‘modified clawbots’ category
Gonna drop these two mistakes off here
ITZ early seasons:
ITZ late season:
Is that a bendy stick scissor lift I see?
My first robot from Starstruck.
I mean, my robot for ITZ was a janky mogo lifter, and kinda sucked. I don’t think I have any pictures, but that’s probably for the better.