Ball Bearings

So, my students have asked me about getting some ball bearings for their robot’s wheels.

I like the idea but I have no clue if this is a legal build material. We are competing in “Tipping Point”. We go through the Create division. If anyone knows anything please, let me know.

not legal unless you decided to make it yourself out of vex parts

7 Likes

Game-Manual-1.1.pdf
If you look through this, it tells you what are legal and what are not.
If parts are listed as v5 compatible on vexrobotics.com, then they are legal. While vex does make ball bearings, they are listed as vexpro parts and therefore not vrc legal.

6 Likes

Thanks, now I need to hope that they don’t want to 3D Print some.

These would also not be legal for the same reason as those- they are not vex products (and not listed under on of the exceptions), and not legal.

5 Likes

Great, saves me the trouble.

1 Like

I would suggest having them read through the game manual I linked above- It will really help, and save a lot of questions later.

6 Likes

Not a bad idea, I’ll do that. :laughing:

3 Likes

The V5 workcell kit does happen to contain a few vexPro ball bearings I believe, which should be legal to use. Probably not worth the cost out the whole kit for a few bearings though.

2 Likes

That link is to version 1.1 of the manual. Currently it is version 2.0, available at https://link.vex.com/docs/21-22/vrc/tipping-point/Game-Manual

2 Likes

Where do you see those? I can’t see any details about the specific construction materials, and not in any of the pictures. Are they included in the arm, maybe?

1 Like

Well, he did say they would be competing in the create division. I believe they have different rules for what is legal and what isn’t. I would check the create website for that.

3 Likes

If this is an Open Division of CREATE Foundation then they have much more choices in choosing materials for their robot:

For example, you can build your lift out of the wood:

However, then your robot will be ineligible to play at the regular VRC events and could only compete at those run according to Open Division rules.

5 Likes

@technik3k- I’m interested. The document you linked was from Tower Takeover- is there one for Tipping point?
And Can you provide more information on what Create Open is like? Like how many tournaments they usually have, etc? I poked around their website and couldn’t find much useful information.
Thanks.

1 Like

4 Likes

Thank you, didn’t realize that that was a link.

1 Like