Ball Compression

Would compressing the ball more make it shoot farther or provide less distance.

It depends on the torque, to much compression could jam your flywheel.

It really depends, you need to find the “sweet spot” of optimal compression of the ball. Too much compression will slow down the flywheel too much and waste energy during each launch, while too little compression will result in less energy being transferred to the ball being fired.

My team found that because we run into super dense balls along with super soft balls, it is best (for a flywheel) to have minimal compression. If you have just a slight amount of compression, you will be able to squeeze dense and light balls that same amount without putting too much friction on the flywheel. Our theory is that if you manually run some balls across your launcher, the dense and the soft ones should go through with the same amount of resistance. If they dont, then you will be inaccurate. A slight compression (less than or equal to 1/4") you will most likely have the most consistency with all the balls.

It depends on your launcher. For a catapult, it would be practically no difference. For a flywheel, I agree that minimal compression will be optimal. For a puncher, compression would provide a farther distance of shooting.

To a certain extent, yes, it does. However, more compression also results in the flywheel slowing down much more, meaning a longer reload time. Thus, if you load the balls very quickly into a high compression flywheel, you will see large deterioration in the shot distance as the number of shots progresses if you do not allow it to speed back up.

Don’t the rubber bands or whatever you are using for tension, decide the ball’s trajectory

what launcher are you taking about

A catapult.

yes that is why compression would not matter

Compression definitely matters in a catapult. Bascically any compression will require extra force to get the ball out of the ‘scoop’, and therefore get you less distance. Compression in a catapult is something to avoid.

It doesn’t matter for our catapults it depends on the mechanics of a catapult

For all of you who are using horizontal flywheels with omniwheels:

What distance do you have in between the flywheels? I feel that our teams compression is too much because the flywheels are compressing the ball too much. From what I observed, robots highest rate of fire using horizontal flywheel do not have such a violent compression compared to my teams design. The distance between the shaft of our flywheels is 14 holes.

We are not using omni wheels, we are using traction wheels, the distant between our wheels is the same as you however, we have 2 wheels on each shaft,and they ate spaced apart which reduces compression

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

What is your rate of fire?

What is the space inbetween the two wheels?

we have been having trouble recently, and have been experiencing some inconsistency, it comes down to the fact that the faster we shoot the less accurate we are, so 1 ball every 2 seconds at 100% accuracy more or less. at 1 ball per second we are at 60-75% accuracy

we have 3.5 inches between the wheel edges

Thank you so much. I’ll try to implement this spacing between the wheels to reduce compression. :slight_smile:

remember, we have 2 wheels on each shaft, and they are spaced apart, which means that there is less compression on the ball then if there was only 1 wheel, this will change results

Unless you don’t have a ‘scoop’ where the ball sits in attached to the arm that moves, the compression matters. If the ‘scoop’ is too tight (i.e. too much compression) it requires more force to free the ball from the compression.

If the scoop is holding the ball so tightly that it takes force to release then it will obviously require more force. I think that’s assumed without being said :stuck_out_tongue: