Best Auto Modes And Are They Possible?

I was thinking about making a lifting autonomous for a while, but decided that the 10 points weren’t worth the time, or the setback of having fewer balls scored. I would say that firing off you preloads, and then accurately scoring a pyramid of balls without crossing the court would be the best autonomous programs. You definitely don’t want to crash into your opponents during autonomous (unless it’s defensive), that’s why I say to not move very far. It might be good to move into an advantageous position at the end of autonomous as well, unless your plan is to fire off the DCLs at the start of the match, which isn’t always the best option. I do like this thread from earlier in the season though.

I was thinking about making a lifting autonomous for a while, but decided that the 10 points weren’t worth the time, or the setback of having fewer balls scored. I would say that firing off you preloads, and then accurately scoring a pyramid of balls without crossing the court would be the best autonomous programs. You definitely don’t want to crash into your opponents during autonomous (unless it’s defensive), that’s why I say to not move very far. It might be good to move into an advantageous position at the end of autonomous as well, unless your plan is to fire off the DCLs at the start of the match, which isn’t always the best option. I do like this thread from earlier in the season though.

Yes, it’s still legal. As before, the only ambiguity is that the elevation you have at the end of auto will not count towards the end of driver control. Because of this, you will need to be in the elevated position again at the end of the match if you want the points.

To the OP, I also support the same concept as that thread. Field balls are the main tie breaker this year. Scoring those first will ensure that you maximize your score and minimize your opponents. However, it will definitely be a bigger challenge than the standard shoot preloads > collect balls > shoot more balls if you can. However, since this challenge is just the second part of the standard strategy (collect > shoot > repeat), the difficulty should be reasonable.

It doesn’t seem as “impossible” as the most ambitious strategy: collect > shoot while driving > repeat.

Edit:
As an afterthought though, maybe it is possible to shoot while driving since it’s the same task over and over again (not variable like a turntable strategy). With this, you can rely on encoder values, which has been done many times in the past

It’s legal, but the rules are stricter for autonomous elevation. Neither robot is allowed to expand above 18 inches during autonomous, but they can at the end of the match.