"Best" CAD Software for VEX EDR

Is it worth the time to design our robot using CAD? If so, which software works best for VEX v5? Thanks!

0 Likes

It doesn’t really matter what control system you’re using, cad is cad. There are a ton of cad threads already out there with everyone’s opinions.

0 Likes

Not all CAD lets you program the simulated robot, though.

1 Like

True, but I meant it doesn’t matter if you want to cad a cortex bot or a v5 bot.

0 Likes

this paper: CAD for VEX Robotics (2).pdf (82.2 KB)
has information and links about the leading commercial CAD packages available for free to students, along with links to the various part libraries available. As others have said, adding V5 parts doesn’t change the options of CAD software, you just need the new models.

5 Likes

Most people at my school use Autodesk Inventor, which is great because it’s free to students, and it has the ability to fairly easily link parts together in such a way that they act as if they would in a real robot (i.e. axles can spin, gearboxes will work, etc.). Not super hard to learn either, and there’s a couple youtube mini-courses floating around on how to learn to use it for vex

0 Likes

Would recommend Solidworks

0 Likes

All the commercial software is free to students. If you’re really interested in CAD, you might want to try out Solidworks and fusion too. Solidworks requires your teacher/mentor to apply for their grant.

0 Likes

I prefer the original: Minecraft w/world edit

Or:

The original: Lego technic

3 Likes

But then this happens
20190513_223021

4 Likes

Obviously you want to use SnapCad, or even better, Lego Digital Designer!

0 Likes

Which ones can? Thanks.

0 Likes

Our Mimic editor in Robot Mesh Studio :wink:

4 Likes

I use autodesk professional and that is what my fathers company uses

0 Likes

I use autodesk inventor 2017 for my cad building and it works pretty well for me but the computer i use has windows 7 so i don’t know if it would be different for windows 10 or on a apple computer.

But i would recommend autodesk if ur using windows 7 in my opinion.

0 Likes

ROBLOX Studio of course! :wink:
And the weirdo like me, If you want I can make an online CAD’ing game in ROBLOX for anyone who is wanting to make something can make a robot within minutes if you’d like :blush: (But I’m not finished with TT game so give me some time… Like 1-2 weeks please before I can get to it)
(Why am I such a meme)
In all seriousness:
Fusion 360
Inventor PRO

0 Likes

Inventor 2018

0 Likes

If a person was to get a laptop for AutoDesk Fusion 360, what’s the minimal workable specs that we should look for?

The Fusion 360 requirements seem to less costly than Inventor:

Fusion 360 Requirements

Inventor 2019

0 Likes

Let’s take a fair democratic vote.

• Inventor
  • Inventor but a different option

0 voters

0 Likes

You can get a student license for autodesk products, so the price shouldn’t really be an issue.

0 Likes