Best CAD software? Fusion 360 help

Hello!
I’m pretty new to CAD, and I’m wondering what is the best (easiest to use) software to use for VEX. I currently have fusion 360, but I don’t have any vex parts downloaded. Is there any specific way I could do that?

1 Like

There are numerous libraries of parts available, and VEX has them available on their website.

1 Like

I use blender but I wouldn’t recommend it since it isn’t a CAD software. Blender does allow to make complex animations and could look very realistic. Also I already knew how to use blender.

I also have/use inventor.

3 Likes

There are so many threads asking this question. They all have very good points. I like inventor but there’s lots of other options too like solidworks or fusion

This file has information on various CAD software and links to libraries.CAD for VEX Robotics.pdf (199.4 KB)

2 Likes

why do you like inventor?

1 Like

It has a nice interface, its pretty intuitive, it renders really well, and its the only cad program my laptop can handle

4 Likes

I have been using inventor for the past 5 years starting during my first(6th grade) season. It is really easy to get the basics down and start designing stuff but then can also do many more advanced things as you need them. There is also a lot of support in the Vex community which makes it really easy to learn(Vex has a free curriculum based off the clawbot to learn how to use it too. I know people that use fusion and solid works as well but I have never tried those.

3 Likes

is it free (inventor)

Technical no, but you just say your a student and they ask no questions.

It’s free for students.

5 Likes

I believe as a vex competitor you can get it for free as well.

2 Likes

do you just email them?

1 Like

Autodesk inventor is free for all students along with most of the rest of the Autodesk suite. You can find it at the link below. All you need is an account(which is also free).

@iskdyl

6 Likes

All the commercial CAD packages are free to students. Look in the download document a few posts up to get the links.

4 Likes

Based on the OP account I can infer they are EDR based, but I guess this discussion is in the wrong category.

1 Like

I use SolidWorks because I’m certified and the rest of my team uses SolidWorks as well. But, if you dont already know something, Inventor is probably the best thing to learn for Vex.

3 Likes

I would stick with fusion 360 simply because you can share your projects/designs with different people and work on the same design/project at the same time from different places (unlike inventor).

1 Like