Best Claw Design for Back Dumpers?

The motor getting unplugged is my fault I should have secured them with shrink wrap tubing @Crazycrabman

You only guarantee alignment unless and until something causes a gear to skip and then you cannot align properly the rest of the match. There are a lot of non-linked claws out there with plenty of capacity besides ours. If done properly, grabbing objects that are not centered is actually easier with non-mechanically linked claws. For example, with non-mechanically linked claws, you can have both sides of the claw reach over to the left or right of the robot to grab some things and then center itself.

I realize that writing code is not everyone’s favorite pass time, but it certainly can help in this case.

Linking the claws are fine if you do not mind the extra weight (which, by the way, can reduce your capacity). It is certainly an easier solution.

I had a motorized claw for a tournament. Gears never skipped, except when we had a bad collar in practice before the tournament and the axle slid out of the bearing… But of course when something like that happens, all bets are off, and replacing the collar fixed it.

I’m sure there are good unlinked claws out there, but most that I’ve seen are horrible (even teams that used PID. One side alone doesn’t have enough strength).

Also, slightly more weight > add two rubber bands to lift. Not a huge deal compared to getting a claw working well.

I wouldn’t know, side rollers. But what I have seen there are two distinct designs. The better claws had some space in the middle and indented at the end at a 45 degree or so angle. Another design that could pick up either stars or cubes not both had little space in between and standoffs. Some had no space but the indent and some also had the space but standoffs. I personally would go with the space in between with the indents, and do what some high school teams do (haven’t seen a middle school with) and have a fork under the pincers so nothing falls out.

I think it depends on skills or competition in a way, a thinner claw is more compact for going along the wall and grabbing 3 stars in a line for auto while a wide fork claw is really good during the matches for mass dumps of game elements. Just my thoughts

At the same time though with prongs a robot’s maneuverability decreases. It gets harder to drive since the claw requires room to put down. This decreases cycle times while increasing capacity, but I guess it comes down to driver preference in the end.

It may also be a difference between skills and match play, although I recently saw a very good robot still just using forks. There are a few good designs out there.

I mean in the North Texas finals every robot had prongs, and those were some of the most competitive matches I’ve seen all year.