Best Strategy for VEX NBN.

Hi guys and gals! I’m curious as to what you guys thought was the best strategy for competition. With many designs out there, we understand there won’t be one grand strategy, but were hoping to get a general estimate of what you guys think. Our team has yet to compete, but we will be attending a competition soon in Joplin. I’ve been looking at many of the Youtube videos out there, and I’m thinking the best strategy would be leaving the 24 balls on the outside for later on during the match, attempting to get the farther balls closest to the Net’s and working from there back to the start. Many teams are clearing the fields, and it’s a matter of who’s quicker to get the balls in the net fastest and most accurate. This is just an idea, and I’d be very eager to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks!

From my standpoint right now, I would have to agree with your current strategy, but how you use this strategy will be key to winning tough matches. Below is a strategy I’ve been trying to follow at local competitions, and plan on using at state, though I do realize it may not be a good strategy to use at worlds, and possibly eliminations at state.

The inside tile should consist of the best fielding robot. Whichever robot has the fastest drive and/or intaking ability should always take this tile, as they are well capable of fighting for the balls closer to the other alliance, and these stacks between the alliances may be what causes your alliance to win the match. This robot should be going after at least 2 stacks during autonomous (though not many teams are this good yet, this is what I expect at state/world).

The outside tile should be for whichever robot may be less efficient at field cleaning, and may consist of your DCL robot/lifting robot since they could be slower or less efficient at intaking and scoring stacks closer to the other alliance. This would allow for the outside robot to go after stacks at a less competitive level, while hopefully being able to score as many of those balls as possible. This robot should be going for at least one of the stacks against the wall near its starting tile during autonomous. Below will be a picture of how this strategy may work (while respecting the loading zone and climbing zone of the other alliance, so ignore the lines going into the red alliance’s respected zones :stuck_out_tongue: ), though it could be set up many different ways.

Above, the green zone would represent the faster, more competitive robot. As you can see, this robot would be in charge of a much larger zone, while the less efficient team would be in charge of going after a few other stacks. Of course though, stacks are knocked over really early in a match, so this wouldn’t last too long. I believe you could continue to cover different “zones” because you would not want both robots from the same alliance covering the same area of the field, so it could be important to talk to your alliance about what they should cover and until when they should stop covering it. Maybe they could go after the remaining bonus balls if they are the faster, more efficient bot? By doing so you may be able to control where the balls stay on the field, instead of having robots knocking balls all over the place. The more you have to move for balls, the less time you have to score.

Keep in mind players will play defense in hopes to grab any balls you are going after, do not let this mess up your strategy at any time.

TL;DR Going out on the field first, and then coming back for driver control loads would be the best strategy at any level of competition.

Thank you! This is a much more detailed version of the similar strategy I had. I appreciate you pointing out how the two stacks between the inner blue and red tiles may be what determine the match winner. That wasn’t something that even crossed my mind. As noted before, this year’s scouting will be crucial and communication will be key in order to be an effective team which will be required at Nationals and Worlds.

I believe that many teams are looking over how important those stacks are. You could easily split the field so each alliance gets 5 stacks, but since they are so close it is possible for one alliance to control 6 stacks, which leaves the other team with 4 in a perfect scenario. Another way to look at is that your alliance is 50 points ahead of the other alliance, which they would need a high lift to make up for. So, if all driver control loads are scored accurately for both alliances, both alliances score a high lift, and you had control of 60% of the field balls and scored all of them compared to the other alliance which would score 40% of the balls, you would win by 50 points.

What you are saying doesn’t necessarily hold true because you are theoretically assuming that all robots have 100 % accuracy. Also, teams get stacks during autonomous. For example, our team utilizes autonomous to grab 1 orange ball from wall stack, and eats another stack and scores. This way, we have a high scoring autonomous and sets a strong precedent.

I agree with everyone. I have seen some teams who have a great autonomous. They score their preloads and go after stacks and score them in as well. where i am from a lot of teams usually go for the stacks on the field ans sometimes push some balls into their zone. At near the end they usually finish up driver loads and then lift.