Best Tower Takeover Drive Train

Hi All,

My team is currently redesigning our robot from our current 1:1 geared, 4 motor drive train to potentially a thinner/smaller drive train, but we are a little stuck on where we should go from there: does anyone think that there is a “best” drive train for Tower Takeover? Are gears the answer for connecting wheels or does chain work better? is X drive the way to go, or should we stick with H drive? Is it best to have a 3 motor drive so we can strafe, or is that unnecessary? We are thinking of making our drive train very thin and simplistic, but since we are hoping to make 12 stacks we are worried about power/torque. Any advice on how to make a great tower takeover drive train would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, all.

1 Like

The best drive train depends on the driver. Just make sure that it’s well supported and small enough so u can put to stacks in the bigger goal zone. Use gears when u can but chain also gets the job done. Only use chain if ur in a situation where gears just wont work.

4 Likes

@64540A
what is the advantage of gears compared to chaining the wheels?

I might be wrong, but gears have less slop (rotational uncertainty) than chain. Chain is mainly used because it can have the same ratio over different distances, making it easy to fit in the parts you need.

Yes!
In addition, however, while the chance is slim, gears are most certainly less likely to break than chain.

3 Likes

When you reverse direction with chain, you first have to take out the slack in the chain before any drive movement happens. This can affect autonomous, and maybe feels weird when driving. That said, you save weight and friction with chain if you are transferring power pretty far from the motor. You can also add a chain tensioner to minimize slack.

2 Likes

Tank/Arcade drive is the way to go, have all wheels pointing forward. The advantages of the mobility of an X or H drive is nothing compared to the disadvantage of the slowness of it. My very strong recommendation is that you have all wheels pointing forwards and program it as a tank or arcade drive, as good driver practice with that is much faster than anything else.

4m direct drive will always have the least slop and take up the least space, and you can’t really get simpler, so I’d recommend that for starters

3 Likes

I also recommend binding the two wheels on each side together using gears or chain, whatever works best, so that if for whatever reason one of your wheels has more traction on the ground than another both motors are always powering said wheel.

2 Likes

I’d recommend doing this and then connecting the wheels with low strength gears, this will take up the least space but still be geared together

2 Likes

We’ve tried unsuccessfully to use a 4 motor X-drive. I’ve seen other teams do it successfully so I guess it’s up to you guys to build one that works. I’d suggest making your drivebase at most 14 in in width as it provides you with the ability to easily line up with the wall when stacking. However, it does open up the possibility to tipping. You could fix that by adding anti-tip wheels as many teams have done. Another suggestion I have, is that you can make an all steel drivebase. Of course, it will be heavier to carry, but you will have a harder time tipping over and it’s better in a match in the long run. I would also suggest a 4 motor drivebase compared to say, a 2 or 3 motor base, as the event has a lot of aggression and you’ll find yourself getting pushed around by other teams. I suggest a mecanum wheel or X drive to fix this issue compared to a 3 motor strafe H drive. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

X drives are actually really fast
This article explains it well http://www.aura.org.nz/archives/1137

1 Like

The hyperlink isn’t working for me. However, after doing additional research, X drive is by definition faster. However, torque is also something you want to take into consideration. My team, for example, has a 300 RPM tank drive which we are reducing to 250 RPM because the drive is too fast to be able to be driven properly, and more torque will allow us to push other bots around easier. Tank may not be faster, but I still stand by the idea that is it the ideal drive train.

That is true x drives can’t push very well but you can avoid defense really easy through how nimble they are. It all depends on your driving style

1 Like