Big Benefits from Improved Troubleshooting

I understand the frustration when motors slow down once they hit a specific internal temperature. No matter the motor thresholds, our community would be doing an amazing job of finding and pushing the limits.

What I’ve been very pleased with this year while using v5 is that our students now have a much better ability to troubleshoot and learn from the experience. For a brief time, their robot was acting erratically in autonomous. Most of the time going where they intended. But at certain points it would drive in unexpected ways. Initially, the students incorrectly blamed the VCS, the students code. v5 overall, the brain, the battery, the myths kept rolling…

But once they looked into the temperature of each motor and printed them all on the brain’s LCD, the picture was much more clear that one of the drive motors was passing the 50 degree Celsius mark. That caused the drive train in auto to change behavior because one motor overheated due to ‘mechanical issues’ and was now at 1/4 power.

Now that they’re armed with real information, they actually fixed the ‘real’ mechanical issue. The robot has been absolutely reliable since. It was a good real-world lesson for them. Your initial instincts may or may not be correct. Determine the root cause with real information, which was possible with v5 in ways that we didn’t have before.

5 Likes

Brilliant! I’m glad to hear students are using the vast sensor info from V5 motors to solve their own problems, rather than blindly blaming outside issues. Good for them!

1 Like