Brain shows bump sensor but is not there

I too have a similar issue that no amount of updating is fixing. I have a permanent bumper switch showing on port 5 when it is empty. If a motor that isn’t affected this way is plugged into port 5, it shows as a motor, but once it is removed, shows up as a bumper again. No%20Motor%20On

Reset the brain or the @jpearman can tell u what to do

Have you tried right-clicking in the switch and then seeing what pops up? Might say something like ‘fix issue’ or similar. Don’t know for sure, just an educated guess.

2 Likes

check the port on the IQ brain for any damaged pins or other debris that may be causing the brain to think a bumper switch is plugged in. The bumper switch is a completely passive device, if the IQ brain does not find a smart device like a motor, it then checks to see if a bumper switch is present by measuring the resistance of certain pins in the connector. If the pins are damaged it can mistake this for a bumper switch being connected.

7 Likes

Thanks for the help. Your the best jpearman

I used air to blow out the port. I can see no visual difference between the ports to indicate damage. I did a soft reset with the brain and then a hard reset with both up and down arrows. When I plug a motor into that port, it shows a motor. As a last resort, I sprayed a touch of contact cleaner in the port.
Nothing has worked so far. Do you know what pins I can use a multi-meter on to check resistance? Thanks for all your help! Brad

Umm… I do not no any u can use for the vex iq brain but I know one for V5 but I am sure that will not work Iq, a smart option is to call vex and maybe they will replace your brain. Idk, I never had this problem

If it’s under warranty, this might be a good idea. If it’s older than 3 months, this will be quite expensive.

1 Like

Right, I will never want my brain to do that, bc my brain is 3 years old