BrainROS - Wireless Programming Aid with Odometrey, Looking for Beta Testers

Hey everyone,

We are currently looking for beta testers for our engineering project, BrainROS.

BrainROS is a hardware add-on for software development, which enables real-time odometry by sending debug messages from the V5 Brain to a wireless console. This enables real-time data collection from the robot without a wired connection to the V5 Brain. BrainROS is especially useful for optimizing autonmous routines and programming skills routines.

You can find a more detailed description of BrainROS and its uses by visiting our website, or by reading the documentation here.

If you or your team are interested in being a beta tester for BrainROS, please contact us at brainrosvex@gmail.com. Please also reach out if you have any questions! We are located in the Bay Area in California, but would welcome any willing testers.

Attached below is a picture of BrainROS attached to a VEX Tipping Point robot. It utilizes V5 Smart Cable ports for easy connections.

Thank you!
The BrainROS Team

13 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I’m bumping this topic as it slid off the latest topics page, it’s an interesting project, just remember any hardware you add to the robot during development needs to be removed for competition.

15 Likes

Some information that might be useful for you.

1. USB communication is not limited to 115200 Baud, I used 921600. robot_driver/driver.launch at 3235109e548aee2c42e6c9c9e3218a6a142acd30 · asgard-mqp/robot_driver · GitHub

2. rosserial - ROS Wiki supports the V5, it lets a V5 subscribe to ROS messages on a connected computer.

3. If you are serious about driving virtual robot. Something I had worked on with @Potatehoes914M using the ROS simulator gazebo with vex field and trying to get accurate physics for objects and omni wheels.

4 Likes

Wow, this is really cool! Do you have a github repository or some other place with the source code for the BrainROS mainbord and example user code?

3 Likes

Thank you! We will be releasing a github repository with example user code in the near future,. We will not be making our firmware source code public, but will send out any firmware updates through github.

5 Likes

Here is an example ProsV5 project that we just released on GitHub, feel free to take a look. This project corresponds to what we used in our demo videos.

https://github.com/elizabethkoh/BrainROS

Just for reference, here is our website again → Brain ROS

Let me know if you have any questions.

4 Likes