Brevity v3.0 | 3141B Tipping Point Reveal

Giant clawbot driving around for four minutes:

“Jawbot” sounds catchy.

This simpler design is our approach to the brutality of Tipping Point matches. Rush in, scoop up goals, plop them on the platform. Defense, defense, DEFENSE! Repeat.

• 6 motor drive geared to 360 rpm
• 1 motor universal claw
• 1 motor four-bar arm
• 2 cylinder goal latch

Goal tipped over? We’re taking it.
Goal scored on the platform? We’re taking it.
Goal held by another robot? We’re taking it.

No parking. No ring scoring. All goals.

3141B

35 Likes

That claw is very interesting. Good job

3 Likes

That claw is actually pretty cool, seems like it has some advantages over a traditional clamp, at the expense of a motor and a lot of girth of course.

11 Likes

Reminds me of a crab spider

5 Likes

Versatility at the cost of speed and space

It is very similar to the clamp on a lift, just the motor is on the lift and the pneumatics are on the back. The downside to the clamp on the back, is that it doesn’t secure the goal as well. But just like the claw the focus on the clamp was, as my teammate said above, versatility. It wasn’t in there very long, but was a shot of the clamp moving a tipped goal at 3:27. So in matches it acts as a chaos bot that works in spite of the chaos we caused

6 Likes

The biggest tradeoff is probably the motor it costs, because that means you can only have 1m lift. And it also means this type of claw is probably not viable for a robot that also has to do rings, if that ring bot wants a 6m drive as well.

But I like how it can adapt to the erratic nature of the goals

9 Likes

We saw what happened in Rise Above last year with a design like this that “hugged” the goals… Could the same design be the solution for a game two years in a row? I don’t know, but it’ll be interesting to find out.

2 Likes

This may not be the optimal design for Skills, but it certainly performs well in qualification match chaos.

2 Likes

Wait, are you holding a clawbot while displaying your Troll sticker?

It takes some time to get one on, but yes it can carry clawbots muhahaha

4 Likes

Hey, I was wondering if you guys may be willing to release a rundown of how you made Brevity’s claw. My group found your robot and would love to make it in our school’s robotics class!

The build is very similar to that of a dr4b in that it is mostly just c-channel screwed to gears so that they move in opposite directions. The hardest part was getting it in size, there are probably multiple ways to do this, we thought it would be best to be able to close the claw so it is easier to mount, the shot 42 seconds in demonstrates this, but there are other ways of doing it that you could find using the design process.

2 Likes

Here are some close-ups:

You basically connect four gears and mount the claw on the outside ones. The rest of the frame is just reinforcement.

6 Likes

Do the axles on the edges have their edges hammered down?

Yes, but when we found the axles they were already like that.