Build Guidlines for Non-Lifting Robots

At our last competition, we found that there where a lot of robots that were not very “lift friendly.”
I wanted to start a thread that teams who want to be lifted can hopefully refer to. Just some basic build guidelines that could increase there chances of being lifted. Here is my list I have created after a few competitions being a lifting robot.

• At least .6 to 1 inch clearance from the ground (including motors and sensors). Mostly have problems with intake platforms being too low.
  • Somewhat rugged chassis (just can’t bend easily) most robots are fine with this.
  • Light robot - under 17 pounds (for what I have seen).
  • Wheels normal width apart from each other. Weird “+” drives and odd things like that can be difficult.

Feel free to post your own list and comment on mine. Hopefully this will help teams on their builds.

Personally, I feel that the “liftee” robots should also be optimized as a good/ fast close up shooter rather than full court shots as they are probably going to have a faster ground speed than the lifting robot.

What do you mean by “+” drives?
I might add to your list by saying that robots could also build a flat frame on top of their robots, for self lift bots.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCOlQlyPSC25BhgRf43WvjhbM-2AnHMacciQMPgNO-aJBIsgIKMw

Similar to a X-Holonomic drive, both of which are not good for lifting bots, unless it’s a forklift/platform style lift.

To me, it would also include anything with a strieghing wheel in the back or middle of the robot.

Right thanks.
As for lifting, it might be interesting for a team with a solid narrow intake and launch mechanism to build some locking linear sliders into their H drive, so that they could adjust the width of their drive prior to a match, allowing them to easily fit on most ramp lifters.

Design a lifting robot that can easily adapt to the variety of frame sizes would help. Think about adapting your robot for each match/alliance partner. I think you will get more mileage from that approach than getting teams to adapt to your needs.

I would also like to add that a big reason at worlds that people might not want to be lifted is they don’t want to chance falling off the lift.

We made a ramp and we had no time to design stoppers at the end of it, so we lined up at the control towers just in case the robot that was climbing up fell off. We successfully elevated that match by backing up a bit. I guess we just wanted an elevation. 0 SPs earned in that match :wink:

For a liftee, make sure the drive base doesn’t overheat and have good clearance if the lifter is a ramp. Shooting well will help out too.

I think that the people creating the lifting robots have to design and build lifting mechanisms where the chance of something like that happening is a low as it can be. Maybe consider a “Build Guidelines for Lifting Robots” :P. I don’t blame people after seeing some of the spectacular fails we have had this season :D.

This one is a big restriction. but make your bot as small as possible. we can lift robots that are 14 inches wide.

Wow that is a big restriction, I don’t think you will see many that do that

All of the NIDES robots as well as a Highland secondary robot fits on ours.

At worlds I don’t think you’ll see hardly any robots that wide though. Our intake is wider than that :confused:

I know :frowning: sadly

Honestly, no matter how good your lift is, it’s bad engineering if your lift is only compatible with a few robots. Why do your robots have to be under 14" wide?
My lift is similar to the one below, and it has no problem lifting any drive size or configuration, unless they have no clearance.

With only 2 motors, it’s possible to make something like this.

How much weight can yours lift?..

I haven’t tested, but it can lift our E team’s robot which has 2 dual flywheels and is mostly steel.

It’s not “bad engineering” its first generation “never before seen in vex” engineering. The next iteration will lift much larger bots.

Sorry. I shouldn’t say something is bad engineering without seeing it, or knowing more about it than just one sentence first.

It’s all good. The problem with our bot is limitations. So the next iteration will remove the limitations.