Building Flip Down Intake Help

Hello, I am making my first post on this forum to ask for tips on how to make a drop-down intake for our robot. I have included a photo of our robot with the one we are building in the doc, as well as a high-school team’s robot that we are trying to reference. Any tips/advice/tutorials would be awesome, and you can add comments to the Google Doc
Feel free to ask questions about anything by commenting!


I think many people will want to post advice in here as opposed to the google doc, since that can show you our emails/full names, and people may not want that.
By way, which robot is yours and which is the one you are referencing?


People can also comment on this. It does show them as anonymous while viewing, but that might not be the same for making comments. Ours is the one picture of the robot without an intake on the table, and with the blue baseplate. The rest of the photos are from the other team

1 Like

I’m only seeing pictures of one robot, which does have intakes. I’m guessing that this is the robot you are referencing? You may also want to consider flip out intakes if you have room over the wheels. That way, you only need 1 joint for each intake instead of one to fold down and one to fold back and forth. But for flip downs, I would consider having a piece of string or rubber band that you put between your gears or on your chain, and you spin the rollers, releasing the chain, making the intakes fall down. Another option is to have a standoff or piece of metal that catches on the frame when it is folded up and the intakes spin, making the piece unhook and they fall down.


Here’s an example of something we built earlier this season. It’s possible to cantilever the intakes because the balls don’t need much torque to intake. The intakes are on x and y axis, meaning it can flip down at the beginning of a match and move apart to compensate for ball width. Something to consider.
Sorry about image quality, had to zoom in.


Hello! Since we’re on the topic on building flip-down intakes, I decided to release my team’s design on our rubber-link flip-down intake. We utilized rubber links in order to make the intake open up so we can cycle mid and also lessen the stress on the rollers.

You can see more features of the robot using this Google Photos link.


This robot is 25 holes wide, with the space holding the pillow bearings for the intakes is 6 holes apart per side. The motors are 200 rpm because we didn’t have the 600 rpm cartridges.

Before you begin roasting me on how using and axle for a joint, for the 4 months I have been using this intake, the axle has never bent(at least it wasn’t visually bent). We’ve rebuilt our robot since then, and we’ve improved so many small mechanisms. Anyways, hopefully this helps to your building

If you have more questions on about what we are doing, we can probably talk here.


With the size we have now for the intake, our robot struggles to descore, as well as us having an intake that utilizes wheel-sized gears with the grip-cloth stuff covering it, so it didn’t really fit that well within the constraints as well as we would’ve wanted it to

I would consider looking at this

And this

But, As said above, It does look like you should have enough room to do non-flipouts. take a look at 622B Kepler’s reveal. They seem to have a base that is even slightly longer than yours, and they have no flipouts. Their intakes are also shorter, and can still descore the middle well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.