Building tricks

This will be a thread to post building tricks you use. For an example we have a trick where we will hammer the end of a shaft to avoid using a shaft collar.

0 Likes

Tbh that sounds like a bad idea…

7 Likes

It suprizingly works really well and stays on better than a shaft collar. We have never had something come off when we did it. It works great for tight spaces. Though you have to be careful not to bend the shaft.

0 Likes

It might not come out, but it will have significantly more friction…

3 Likes

We haven’t had anymore friction than with normal shafts

0 Likes

That’s a bad idea. You might accidentally bend something.

Anyway, there’s the trick of putting tape on the end of a wrench to stick a nut to to reach hard areas. That saved me countless times.

6 Likes

It is a pretty awesome hack that QCC2 used on their robots and shared with teams. Our teams use the technique all the time. You have to know what to do - for example, don’t wack the end of the shaft while it is attached to the robot.

0 Likes

but then you can’t put things on the end of that shaft ever again? just seems like hitting pieces that are already prone to damage with a hammer would be cause for some jankage.

2 Likes

You can you just file it to reuse it

0 Likes

eh, I think I’ll stick with shaft collars for now, but hey, if it works for you.

1 Like

Ya we use shaft collars when we can but when we are too tight on space we do it

0 Likes

I guess I can see how that saves space.

0 Likes

in the case of QCC2 - once the robot has won Worlds, why would you disassemble it :slight_smile:

3 Likes