CAD on iPad

I would really like to be able to do some good CAD for this years game. I was wondering if anyone knew of any ways to do CAD on the iPad for cheap that would produce good results. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

You’re in luck: OnShape can run on an ipad.

Here’s a link to a demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2UpAZYE1A

I will look into this more (but I’ll have to find someone with an I-pad, as I don’t own any apple products), and add the information to my CAD information paper: CAD for VEX Robotics (2).pdf (300.8 KB)

Once you have OnShape running (it actually runs on the OnShape servers rather than your local device, which is why such a powerful CAD package will work on almost any computer), you should be able to access the CAD parts libraries I reference in the above CAD information document.

OnShape, in my opinion, is almost as powerful as SolidWorks as a high-end CAD package (I must admit, I’m a die-hard SolidWorks user, so I won’t say is is just as good). OnShape was developed by the original developers of SolidWorks after they sold SolidWorks to Dassault (who also publishes the other leading high-end CAD package: Catia).

8 Likes

Theoretically, would it be possible to just use the files from the vex website and use those in OnShape?

Yes, you can always import the universal .step files into your CAD program. But once imported, you’ll want to convert the “dumb solid” of the .step file into the math model of the CAD software. By accessing one of the VEX-community-made libraries in the links, the parts have already be translated into the particular CAD format and saved for use by the rest of the community, to save you some time.

3 Likes

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you

1 Like

This helps me too. Also can you do fusion on an iPad?

There is a Fusion “viewer” app only. An iPad doesn’t have the computing power needed for running professional CAD software. This is what make OnShape different, as it is not running on your local device, but rather on the OnShape servers.

2 Likes

This was very helpful, I was able to download it and start using it.

1 Like

I could use some help with the parts library on iPad – how do you import parts from the library into a new document? The only “import” command I can find in the iOS app is to import files from my iPad or Google Drive. I’ve made a copy of the publicly-shared parts library into my documents, but I can’t figure out an easy way to get from one to the other.
Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind-- I was only working in the Part Studio tab. If you work in the Assembly tab, you can import from the other libraries very easily.

I keep getting errors that there are folders in the library, and it won’t let me import the files. Also, why is there just name file name and type displayed when I try and open the file?