CAD Workstation Recommendation from SolidWorks

I just received an email from my company’s SolidWorks support. If you’re looking for a good CAD workstation (either as an advanced student, or an instructor building a CAD lab), Solidworks just released an article with recommendations you might want to review: The article is here: https://www.goengineer.com/blog/best-workstations-for-solidworks-hardware-configurations

As an advanced CAD package, SolidWorks requires some pretty high-end computing power. If you’re using a more “entry-level” CAD like Fusion or Inventor, you don’t need as much computing power, but it wouldn’t hurt. (If you don’t have much more than a Chromebook, take a look at On-Shape!) Here’s some information about all the CAD packages available to students at no costs. If you’re interested in getting a free license for Solidworks, your team will need to apply for sponsorship: the link is in this document: CAD for VEX Robotics.pdf (582.5 KB)

If you’re serious about engineering in your future, you would do well to learn several CAD packages. At my company, we use SolidWorks for all current work, but still keep a copy of Inventor and Draftsight around for looking at, or updating, legacy drawings. If you want to work for Space-X or Northrom Grumman, you’ll need to learn Seimens NX! Unfortunately, no educational version of that one.

7 Likes

Is it just me, or does it seem sponsored by dell :thinking:

Nevertheless still very good CAD machines.

" Best Workstation for SOLIDWORKS Standard" - uses a Quadro P1000. Then here comes me running solidworks with a laptop using Intel HD graphics.

2 Likes

Many (perhaps most) companies, big and small, have lease agreements with either Dell or HP for all their computers. It helps alot with the IT department managing all the users and software. So it makes sense that Dell (or HP) try to leverage their position to become the ideal partner for Solidworks, thus getting awarded the biggest contracts for computer leasing.

It’s no secret that Dassalt (the owner of Solidworks and Catia) have been working with NVidia for years to develop optimized software/hardware integration. In years past, Solidworks really dragged without the right video card. But now, ordinary video cards have become so advanced that most functions work pretty well. But if you’re a power user…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.