Callbacks

Post the code so we can see what you are trying to do.

Y=50 would not be a callback, it’s a variable. I think your variable is declared inside a different function than usercontrol, which means that it will only be recognized when you reference it in that function. Put the declaration outside of any function to make it a global variable, which you can call on from anywhere in the code.

OurCode.zip (11.4 KB)
Theres our code

I tried putting it outside of the function and it worked, but how would I change the variable?

A global variable can be accessed by all functions and all threads. You declare a local variable inside this function.

void function(){
  int y=50;
}

when using global variables it’s best to give them a descriptive name, so if this variable will represent, for example, a speed, perhaps name it.

int liftSpeed;

or if you want an initial value for it

int liftSpeed = 15;

place that line way at the top of main outside of any functions, perhaps under this line of code.

vex::competition    Competition;

then, in your function you can set it like this.

void function(){
   liftSpeed  = 50;
}

and use it later like this.

int DownSpeedPCT = liftSpeed;

(although there’s no real point doing that copy, you could just use it in here directly by replacing DownSpeedPCT with liftSpeed.

LA.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, DownSpeedPCT, vex::velocityUnits::pct);
2 Likes

Im currently looking at another code, but ill give this a try.

When its in the function it does not have any effect on the user control

there should be a speed setting in the spin command.

I know that. What I meant was that our goal is to make the motors spin at different speeds through the use of a button being pressed once.

set a variable like
int speed=0 ;/*always have a initial value for variables or there will be trouble */
and in your operator control loop
while(1)
{
speed= Controller1.ButtonX.pressed()? speed+1:speed;
speed= speed>=4? 0:speed;
switch (speed)
{
case 0: motor.spin(directionType::fwd,50,velocityUnits::pct);
case 1: motor.spin(directionType::fwd,70,velocityUnits::pct);
case 2: motor.spin(directionType::fwd,90,velocityUnits::pct);
case 3: motor. stop(brakeType:hold) ;
}
}
edit : @enothecool

What do you mean by trouble when you say always have a number for variables or something will go wrong

the variable’s value is saved in the brain’s RAM and when you declare a variable you clear up a slot to store it. however the previous stuff saved in there isn’t always cleared and may lead to errors while running the programme.
edit @enothecool
dang it why do I always forget to @

I have now realized that our driver wants us to change the wheel speed not the arm speed, but it is found through an equation. Anyone know how I would slow this down with the press of a button?

LW2.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis2.value() + Controller1.Axis4.value() - Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
  LW1.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis2.value() + Controller1.Axis4.value() + Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
  RW2.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis2.value() - Controller1.Axis4.value() + Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
  RW1.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis2.value() - Controller1.Axis4.value() - Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);

use a variable as a coefficient of the stick values and have it change with the press of a button

Alright now repeat that in english

int coefficient;
make the motor spin for speed coefficient*joystick value
coefficient = buttonpressed? coefficient + 0.5:coefficient
coefficient = coefficient >1? 0. 5:coefficient;

I think I get what your saying. I use the current equation separately and then multiply it by something to find out it’s value?

yeah you got it BTW r u using mecanums?

No holonomic drive
20 characters

x drive then? then I assume you have a lift bot?