Can you lift with stars or cubes?

Are you allowed to climb the hanging pole and have cubes and stars on your bot to descore?
I don’t see any rule against it.

As far as I’m aware it’s perfectly legal to lift with a scoring object, and I think I saw some thread talking about bringing up their cube to shoot, but at the end of the match, these objects will be scored as if they were on the ground, IIRC. However I don’t remember the exact rule that mentioned that, so take this with a grain of salt

That’s not how I interpret the rule. The definition that you’re talking about only applies if the robot is touching the scoring zone. If a robot is hanging, it is not touching the scoring zone, presumably.

Edit: Here’s the rule.
“The scoring object is not touching any zone and is supported by a robot and/or a scoring object, it is scored in the zone that the robot or scoring object is touching.”

Interesting question, I wonder if you could use that ability for a full defense robot, or even grab all the stars you can, lift your self, and “possibly” launch them over the fence.

Definitely an interesting idea, but after you’ve already gathered the scoring objets, wouldn’t it be worth just going the extra inch of shooting them over? Unless, of course, you are a dumper bot, where that may matter. I wonder, if your only purpose was to gather all of the scoring objects and hang then leave one for your alliance, and boom, you can’t loose.

There should be an official answer, likely confirming that, here: https://vexforum.com/t/answered-clarification-on-hanging-and-scoring-while-hanging/34897/1

It will be very hard to launch objects while hanging on the 2" pole, but if

You can connect a string to a hanging pole and then elevate yourself in the corner between the wall and the fence, using their top sides for support. According to the draft rules it still counts as a high hang if all robot components are above field perimeter. Then just dump all game objects over the fence in the last second of the match…

Most likely GDC will outlaw this strategy in the revised game manual, because the fence was not designed to support the weight of the robots.

Your not allowed to grasp field objects though…using the fence to hang would probably be violating that rule? Not sure that the GDC would have to specifically outlaw the strategy because I think it would already be illegal.

The way I understand game manual is that you are not allowed to interact with multiple sides of the perimeter, but it seem ok to push with your robot against the top side of the perimeter:

There is no specific rule restricting robot’s interaction with the fence, so using top side of the fence to support the robot would also be legal.

It wouldn’t be easy to build the robot that could be supported by the fence and and field perimeter wall for high elevation, so if it is ruled not legal, then it will actually make design selection simpler, since you wouldn’t need to consider the above strategy.

“There is no specific rule restricting robot’s interaction with the fence, so using top side of the fence to support the robot would also be legal.”

Yes, there is! Very first line of <SG8>. “Robots may not intentionally grasp, grapple or attach to any Field Elements.” The fence is a Field Element!

<SG8> doesn’t say anything about simply parking on top of it. It just says that you can’t grab the wall. At least, that’s my understanding. I could be wrong, however. Just to play it safe, I’d recommend not using the perimeter for a hang. I think you’d have too many issues with refs to make this strategy worthwhile.

I don’t think you can feasibly support yourself with the wall and always be above the wall to high hang. It’d be far too easy to dip under the plane formed by the top of the field perimeter.

One, I guess we need to differentiate between the field wall and the “fence”. To me, the fence is the game element that this year divides the playing field in half. The wall is the standard field perimeter.
Two, that being said, the distinction between supporting (parking) on the field wall and attaching to the wall will be an important one to see how that is ruled.

I personally think that using the fence is definitely out (my opinion). And if using the field wall is allowed and your robot is in contact with it, are you above it? Might be a low hang, but not a high hang.

I agree that using the dividing fence is out of the question. You’re expanding way more than necessary in order to support a robot that is heavier than it needs to be. That’s about 4.5 feet of expansion when you may not need it.

As for being above/below the wall if you’re on it, I think I’d call it as below if the part touching the wall is at the same level as the rest of the robot (somethings bound to sag at least a few millimeters). Also, you would need to do something about your wheels, which are either balancing on the perimeter or hanging below it.