Can't download new program in VEXCode

Greetings,

I’ve recently made the switch to the VEXCode software from VCS and have been enjoying wireless downloading and multiple files again. However, the biggest issue I am having is that I am unable to download my program. I have switched brains, computers, micro-usb cables , set VERBOSE to 1 in the make file, created a new file and copied my old code in. Nothing seems to work. When I created the new file, it appeared to work for about 5 downloads, but anything after that was a failure. Has anyone had a similar issues? With resolution?

Could you be more specific does vexCode recognize that you have a brain/controller plugged in or are they not showing up?

1 Like

When that occasionally happens, try downloading to the V5 brain with the cable. After that, we noticed we could download wirelessly again.

VEXCode resognizes everything (controller or brain plugged in) and will show the download graphical sequence. However it will not actually download. I’ve been checking the include folder and it appears that its not even saving my files when I download/save them

Its not a problem with wireless downloading (i’ve been trying both). I think its more of a problem that it is not saving my include files.

@jpearman

if you could shed some light on this, I would really appreciate it

anything special about where you are saving the project ? Shared volume or anything like that ? Have you tried with a new project or sample program ? Can you cut & paste the contents of the output window after you have done a build in this thread.

(Mac or PC ?)

I’ve tried saving on usb and saving normally on my desktop. I’ve just created a new project and copied the text contents of my old project into the new one. Still with no luck unfortunately

windows build for platform vexv5
clean project
rmdir /S /Q build 2> nul || :
[info]: build completed!
[info]: Saving Project …
[info]: Project saved!
windows build for platform vexv5
md “build/src” 2> nul || :
“CXX src/main.cpp”
clang -target thumbv7-none-eabi -fshort-enums -Wno-unknown-attributes -U__INT32_TYPE__ -U__UINT32_TYPE__ -D__INT32_TYPE__=long -D__UINT32_TYPE__=‘unsigned long’ -march=armv7-a -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -Os -Wall -Werror=return-type -fno-rtti -fno-threadsafe-statics -fno-exceptions -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DVexV5 -Iinclude -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/clang/7.0.0/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include/c++/4.9.3" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include/c++/4.9.3/arm-none-eabi/armv7-ar/thumb" -c -o build/src/main.o src/main.cpp
“LINK build/v10.elf”
arm-none-eabi-ld -nostdlib -T “C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/lscript.ld” -R “C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/stdlib_0.lib” -Map=“build/v10.map” --gc-section -L"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5" -L"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode\sdk/vexv5/gcc/libs" -o build/v10.elf build/src/main.o --start-group -lv5rt -lstdc++ -lc -lm -lgcc --end-group
arm-none-eabi-size build/v10.elf
text data bss dec hex filename
33756 1108 1067432 1102296 10d1d8 build/v10.elf
arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary build/v10.elf build/v10.bin
[info]: build completed!
[info]: download
[info]: download completed!

well I don’t see any particular problems there, it’s compiling ok and (apparently) downloading.
so did it create v10.bin etc. in the build folder inside your project folder ?

Have you tried a new program, I mean just plain vanilla template code, don’t cut&paste you own code in.

Yes, for some reason that will work. I was thinking that it might be an issue with the size of the file because I was able to properly download earlier in the day with practically the same code.

However, it does seem to be properly downloading now for some reason. I’m just worried that the issue will return when we get to Kentucky lol

If you find a situation where the code will not download again, send me a copy and I will have a look. Perhaps there are sequences of code that cause some type of download error we have not seen before.

If you have any issues or concerns in Kentucky, you find find Mark, Levi and myself in the VEX technical support area and we will be happy to help you.

Thanks man I appreciate the help!

And you guys will definitely see my face if the issue happens in Kentucky!!

We’ve had the same problem with code just not downloading. Sometimes changing ports on the computer helped, sometimes resetting the v5 brain helped, and sometimes it just went away after a while. I still haven’t figured out what is causing this issue. Fingers crossed it doesn’t return.

I have found that deleting the folder %appdata%\Local\VEXcode the problem has disappeared. I replicated this on my PC and @griecoeric 's PC and it initially seemed to solve the issue. I guess fingers crossed the issues do not come back.

So after a couple of days the issue has returned, there are specific files that will download but our “functions.h” file refuses to save.

Is there anything you can send me to try and reproduce the error ? zip up the project folder perhaps ?

and do you mean refuses to save to the PC ? or compile and download ? in general, header files are never compiled unless they are included in a C++ source file.

That is correct. It refuses to save to the PC. It will compile, but it will compile with the saved files, not the changed files within VEXcode. If we click save the floppy icon will grey out, but checking in our “included” folder shows the date and time have not changed. Because of this VEXcode will not actually update errors on build or download the most recent changes.

@griecoeric has found that if we save a few files, 5 or 6, then all files will save and sometimes continue to be able to be saved individually without error. We also will get errors stating " ‘make’ is not an internal or external precess’ " (paraphrasing here because I do not have the error in front of me). Both of these are random and the only way to fix the “make” error is by closing the program. As I’m sure you can imagine closing the program to resolve this only to find your code also did not save correctly can be frustrating.

We have tracked down the source of this bug and it is fixed in preview 3, that will be released early next week. Lets see if preview 3 solves the other issue, if it doesn’t, I will probably ask for more details of your specific PC configuration so we can try and reproduce the error.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. Thank you for following up with this issue. I am looking forward to the next release!

I did not notice this sentence in the original post. Sorry about that! Are you still interested in a zipped folder of the code?

sure, anything that helps isolate issues is welcomed.

2 Likes