Cap Guiding Problems

It takes us a long time to put a cap onto a pole and we want to add guiding system within a limited space and does not hinder our cap picking up. Please help pick, find or create a design to help.

I don’t stack, but I’ve seen teams have polycarb to distance the cap intake/lift from the drive train, enough that the robot can drive up on the field perimeter and be aligned with the pole. Try that, seems to work well.

^ That’s a good plan.

Do you have a DR4B? 6-bar? “Dunker?” Chain bar?

A polycarbonate funnel that springs up when your lift (which holds it down) moves up and out of the way would be cool.

I’ve seen some robots using V shaped brackets attached to the cap manipulator below the plane of the cap that can slam into a post and index the manipulator to it.

The other problem to consider is rapidly moving the arm to a proper height. Using encoders or a potentiometer can let you track the position of the arm and not have to fuss with manual alignment for every lift.

I wanted to try something like the bracket you were talking about but it got in the way of picking up caps and would put us over 18 horizontally.
I like the encoder idea, not sure why i haven’t tried that. Thank you.

We have a DR4B. Polycarbonate idea sounds good but we aren’t sure where to mount it. Also, what do you mean by a “funnel”? Everything we have tried brings us over the 18 in limit.

Check out this video:

Basically they have a passive deploy post aligner (funnel as some people call it) that gets pushed down by the lift and uses rubber bands to come up when the lift is raised.
If that doesn’t make sense I can explain it more but you should be able to understand from the video. Good luck!

I just cannot figure out where to mount it without going over the 18 in limit. Attached is a pic of the front of the lift. When the lift folds down there is no room for a device.
[/quote]

Great idea! Thanks! I just cannot figure out where to mount it without going over the 18 in limit. Attached is a pic of the front of the lift. When the lift folds down there is no room for a device.
![image|319x500]

you could maybe mount it on the underside of your claw.

+1, especially if you have an extra motor. Check out this video to see what he’s talking about:

OR, you could widen the top four-bar of your RD4B and put the post aligner thing about in the center of the robot.

Why can’t it fit on a tower in the middle of the bot? It would be really skinny, except for the actual aligner, which will be pushed down by the lift because of its girth.

Do you have any more complete pictures of the robot? I’m trying to see if there’s anything blocking the hypothetical tower.

The top four-bars would hit the top of the tower, if it was placed in the middle. To fit a tower, the top four-bars need to be spaced apart to fit it in between.