Carrying VEX IQ robot on a plane

This is our 2nd season in VEX IQ and first time going to the World Championship. First tournament that has required us to fly so will we be able to carry our VEX IQ robot and batteries with us as carry-ons flying?

Anyone have experience doing this or do we need to ship everything there? Thanks

In my experience, TSA will often want to look in your bag, but you will be able to carry it on.

The scanners have problems looking at batteries, so you may want to separate them out, so you can pull them out of your bag.

Steve

We carried our robot onto an airplane in a carryon luggage for the past 2 years without any issue. TSA didn’t even ask us to open our suitcase. The downside is that the robot usually doesn’t fit. So there is some disassembling, reassembling, and testing going on before and after landing in Louisville.

We carried the robot on the plane disassembled. We actually check the bag with the batteries in it. The batteries are not the kind that will explode or have problems so you’ll be okay with them.

This is my third year going to worlds, and as far as I am aware, the robot can be taken as a carry on, but it does need to get taken apart. The robot max size is 201315, and the carry on size is 91422. That is the robot at 3900 inches square. and the carry-on, including the bag is 2772 inches square. It might seem like the robot will not fit even if taken apart, but most robots are not that dense and have pockets of air inside. I don’t know about batteries.

Southwest Airline carryon luggage size limit:
“Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included). Pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches

Southwest traveler here: They are ok with a little past the dimensions above. But for TSA, put the battery packs away from the robot and where you can get to them. You are going to get stopped, move slowly, tell them the blobs are battery packs. (Battery packs into a brain are asking for real trouble). But don’t pack rolls of quarters for parking, that really makes TSA unhappy.

Cool thing is it’s VEXIQ, it all snaps together in a few minutes at the hotel.