chain bar vs parallel bars

Which is better: a chain bar or parallel bars (6-bar/4-bar)?
From what I can tell, a chain bar takes up more space, but is lighter. Are there any other advantages to either one?

We built a 4-bar arm that works for this year’s game. With some slight modifications, we could be hanging. It’s really easy to make. I heard chain-bars were harder, though I’ve never made one myself.

So, I would recommend you go with the 4-bar design. They’re great.

there have been a lot of discussion about each, however I still suggest a chain bar. Many people underestimate the value of a light system

Yes they are “thicker”, but in reality, a 4 bar has less usable volume. Usually, you’re forced to build 2 towers rather than a single tower. Also, you need creative engineering to place anything between the gap of the 4 bar.

On the other hand, 4 bars have a lot less backlash, but it’s possible to engineer the intake to compensate

I was bored today since it was too hot to do anything outside (106f) so I played with different lifts just for fun. I did a reverse double 4 bar (inspired by Pastoral Invasions recent pictures) and it looks like it has a lot of potential for Toss Up.

Our middle school team will be disassembling parts and old robots next meeting so they know what materials they have to start with. I figure a couple of different lift assemblies might get the wheels turning as they take them apart.

Here is the post that got me to play with the double 4 bar. https://vexforum.com/showpost.php?p=336088&postcount=4

I’ve always had an easier time with chain bars than four-bars, and I think chain bars are going to do really well in vex games.

First: They are lighter, since they use less metal. My school was never able to afford aluminium, so we always had to build really light systems. The chain bar surpassed everything else we put together.

Second: It can go completely vertical. Though with a little thought and a lot of engineering, it’s possible to get a four-bar to go straight up (like TECHNA PWN in Round Up) the chain bar performs this task much easier.

Though a six bars and four bars have done REALLY well in previous Vex competitions, I think there’s a lot of positive things to be said for the chain bar, and I think it will to really well in Toss Up.

Can you show me this chain-bar thing? I’m under the impression that they have stability issues. If it’s that easy to build, I may end up switching over.

EDIT: Ignore my initial post, I’m looking into a Chain-bar arm now and it seems to be superior in every way. I’ll keep reading.

In case Jesse sees this, I have a question about the sprockets you guys used last year on your arm. They’re the same size in every picture I can see, but what happens if they’re different sizes? Can you use that for compound gearing?

Edit 2: I remember why we didn’t do this. We couldn’t figure out how to get the intake on there. It’s not an unworkable option, just different from what we did. The 4-bar works for now. I may end up switching later if we want the height, but I think we’ll be fine.

Making the sprockets on the chain bar different sizes has a similar effect to changing the spacing on one side of a 4/6 bar. By changing the size of the sprocket, you can make whatever you are lifting get either steeper or shallower as you raise

Got it. Thanks.