Changing output direction of motors

Is there an efficient way to change the output direction of a motor (not sure how to phrase it) aka if a motor is vertical, can that force be easily made to turn something horizontal?

Basically I’m trying to go for a turret, but motor limits are an issue, I have 2 motors left to power both a flywheel and a flywheel feeder (it’s necessary as part of the design).

I’ve seen on other parts of the forum that a 1 motor flywheel is inconsistent, loses a lot of rpm per shot and may not get full field shots, which I would like, meaning we have to have a 2 motor flywheel, but then I have nothing to power the flywheel feeder.

My only ideas so far are, pneumatic PTO, have w motor flywheel, and when it’s up to speed I can use a pneumatic PTO to take 1 motor off and power the flywheel feeder, but I feel like this would just be a worse linear punch/indexer, taking more air to feed discs, and also same issues of a 1m flywheel

Or have it directly connected so when flywheel spins, the flywheel feeder spins.

The main issue with both of these is that the flywheel feeder is going to be flat, whereas the flywheel will be vertical, so other than the bevelled gears, I don’t think there’s an easy way to translate that motor motion from vertical to horizontal, at least with out significant issues of friction and slipping

(Don’t actually have any parts to test with yet lol)

Does anyone have any ideas to help with either issue? (Sorry post got a little ranty)

1 Like

you can use something called crown gears. People have also replaced crown gears with sprockets or cogged gears.

this team has some on their intake

Im assuming this is what you were talking about but im not sure

5 Likes

Yeah that’s basically exactly it. Thank you, I’ll take a look at this

1 Like

This may work but it looks like it could be an inefficient solution to me. Keep in mind how these gears aren’t well suited to their job. They don’t fit together as well as real gears do. You could use bevel gears (In the advanced gear kit) as you mentioned. I haven’t personally used them but it seems like the\y would be a good solution with far less friction than DIY crown gears.

Another part you could use is a universal joint. I doubt it would be noticable in this application but do note that this type of universal joint does have a slightly varrying speed of the output as the input rotates. See the below sources about that but again, I doubt it would affect anything.
https://www.drivelinesnw.com/part-trouble-shooting/vibration-analysis/phasing/

4 Likes

Not quite… VEX’s bevel gears are notorious for being inefficient in circumstances where the gears are perpendicular to one another, partly because the axles intersect, making it so that you cannot create an additional support point for them past the gear. Of course, the same can be said about crown gears, but this fact affects the performance of the crown gears significantly less than it affects the bevel gears. Custom bevel gears (ones that are chamfered/filleted ever so slightly) are useful, but only with transmissions and other similar mechanisms. One of the comments in the reveal video actually details a more efficient way to utilize bevel gears, but in my opinion, it’s not really worth the effort because the crown gears are practically just as effective.

From what I’ve heard, universal joints do not hold up well under trivial loads. I do not think they are very reliable, but I also have not done much testing with them.

4 Likes