Charging V5 batteries with cortex charger?

Has anyone attempted to charge a V5 battery with a cortex charger? My teachers realized it ft and wanted me to check. I know it’s probably a horrible idea, but my teachers want me to check if it is a viable solution anyways. Thanks, Keaton Gilmore

How much is the current, hopefully it’s the same if you want to charge it using a non standard charger

It’s $10. Just buy it. Save your $50 batteries.

4 Likes

The V5 charger is 16V 1.1A
The cortex charger you are talking about is 12V 1A. The voltage is too low and will probably not charge your batteries properly.

6 Likes

But yet again, since the voltage is lower it shouldn’t destory the battery right? Sorry about my very limited knowledge of electronics. I had no idea which ports were which on the V5 3 wire ports

1 Like

Illegal per game manual, so if there’s a chance of competing don’t do it… Especially with the high chance of battery issues (considering that even with a special charger the v5 batteries lean towards issues).

2 Likes

But that’s only during the competition, you’re allowed to charge the battery however you want before competition.

I did it on accident thinking the cortex charger was the v5 charger. Even emailed vex thinking my batteries were broken. Silly me.
I don’t think it hurts your batteries, it just wont charge them either

1 Like

Which cortex charger are we talking about here? The 7.2V battery charger or the joystick battery charger?

Joystick battery charger. I already convinced my teachers not to do it so that’s a W. Thanks!

Just to be clear, it will not work.

We charge V5 batteries until the pack voltage is 14.4V, the charger has to supply a voltage above that for it to work, that’s why we use 16V chargers.

1 Like