Chassis material

Hey guys, what’s a good alternative for the chassis material (stainless steel) used for Vex?
I wanted to have something lighter for my robot’s base and thought about using
Aluminum pieces of the same thickness. What do you think?

Hi

Aluminium is one third the weight, so will do what you want. We prefer a steel chassis as we have found it flexes less and, being heavier, it will make you less prone to tipping over. Aluminium is good for the tower and for anything you need to lift (arm and intake).

Cheers, Paul

What about carbon fiber? I know it’s expensive and a bit challenging to shape, but I don’t mind looking into it.

Hi,

Welcome to VEX.

Carbon Fiber is an illegal material to use in VEX, you can only use your material allotment of either 12x24 Non-shattering plastic and a 12x12 sheet of Aluminum or Steel.

Unless you are in College this is all the custom material you can use. In College you can use a 6x6x1 inch thick block of plastic material.

Everything else must be purchased from VEX or VEX distributors meaning you need to have Official VEX parts.

Hope this helps,

• Andrew

“Carbon Fiber is an illegal material to use in VEX, you can only use your material allotment of either 12x24 Non-shattering plastic and a 12x12 sheet of Aluminum or Steel.”

This is not correct. I would suggest you check rule R7.

You can use 12x24 non-shattering plastic but you are NOT allowed a 12x12 sheet of aluminum or steel.

My Apologies, College/FTC Rules

• Andrew

Keep in mind that the question might not be about VEX competition. It might just be a project in which case carbon fiber would probably work.

unless the rule has changed … no metal sheet :frowning:

what is this project ? … VRC or just a side project ??

Yeah, I’m not gonna be using it in a VEX competition :smiley:

Just a project I’m working on.

Wood can be a very cheap as well as light resource, you just have to work it right, as shown here: https://vexforum.com/t/wooden-robot/22497/1

That looks awesome!

I think I’ll go with 1.2mm Aluminum. I’ll give it a shot and see.