Cold spray

Hey A few weeks ago I saw a team using a cold spray to actually cool down their own motors from over heating is that legal or no

Did you read the rules for this year’s game? If not, then check them out, your answer is there.

If you spray them outside, that is not illegal, but it is not effective, but if you poke a hole on the shell of the motors and spray inside, that is illegal.

KEV
1437 G

our team only uses them in between elimination matches due to there close time frame and we think it works well.

That is an interesting approach. I do not remember seeing anything about that in the rules since it will not harm the field nor is a lubricant. I wonder if Karthik can give a ruling?

Ive seen teams do it infront of karthik, im pretty sure its fine

I’ve never seen a complaint, we use it too. Some teams leave one screw out and shoot into there

Uhh. That is a heck of a lot more ambiguous. I would consider that a modification of the motor if you sprayed inside. Also I am not sure how legal just leaving screws out if them missing is a functional change.

We didn’t do it, but we saw a number of teams at Worlds doing it. We just spray the outside.

I looked around a little more and it is allowed. I guess I was wrong when I tried to draw an imaginary line between inside the motor module and outside.

How is it different making a hole in motor or shooting through a screw hole compared to taking off the back cover to do it? Both would achieve the same results.

What kind of coolant? Is it the caned air for computers?

We have used Coolant Spray in the past and will also be using it this year. It is a major help to our motors and keeps them from over heating. It can easily be found at a local BestBuy or Walmart.

One involves putting a hole in a motor, one doesn’t…

@Karthik, given that removing and replacing the cap to the motor is legal, and given that removing a single screw from the motor is not technically a modification to an electrical component because the screw itself is not an electrical component nor is the green plastic it holds, would shooting coolant spray through an empty hole slot be a violation? Thanks!

I believe it is the fact that the modification you want to make is irreversible, results in motor being exposed to outer environment while the robot is on and functioning. It is also a direct violation of

<R15> Parts may NOT be modified as follows:
a. Motors (including the internal PTC), extension cords, sensors, controllers, battery packs, reservoirs, solenoids, pistons and any other electrical component or pneumatics component of the VEX Robotics Design System may NOT be altered from their original state in ANY way.

Creating a “hole slot” would be illegal. Shooting coolant into a hole where a screw used to be would be legal. But I’m not sure if that would be effective at all, because I’m pretty sure the screw holes don’t go anywhere (i.e. they are a dead end and don’t enter the motor).

If you want an official answer ask in the NBN Q&A, as Karthik won’t give official clarification here.