Color Sensor Not Calibrated?

I’m new to using VexIQ, and teaching it, at my school. I’ve been able to figure out how to use most of the sensors in the block code, but I’m having trouble with the color sensor.

When I just attach the color sensor to the brain and print out the values it’s reading, it seems that it’s always sensing an object nearby even when it’s pointing across a 30ft room. In addition, it always seems to be detecting blue, even when pointing to a very white piece of paper. The result of these is two-fold:

1. the highrise blocks don’t register properly. They end up being blue-green for both the blue and the green blocks and red-violet for the red block.
  2. I can’t seem to program with the color sensor because it always sees blue, and because it thinks an object is always near, I can’t even “if color is near object” to limit the sensor’s use.

I’ve tried changing the lighting levels, and I’ve tried turning on the light at different brightness levels, but they don’t seem to help. I have 4 kits and I have tried the color sensor on all 4 with the same results. Is there anything I can do about this? Again, I’m only using the block code, since my students aren’t ready for text code.

(PS: can I also just confirm that there’s no mode selection in block mode, that it is always in 12-color mode? It would be nice if it could be 3-color mode)

1 Like

Sorry, I got one piece wrong. Regarding the colors of the cubes, if the light on the sensor is used, then the green cube is blue, the blue cube is blue-violet, and the red cube is red-violet.