Completely Solid Mogo CAD File

Hello Forum!

Our team, through a series of events that deserve to be posted in the “Don’t you hate it when” thread, does not yet have a field.

We were attempting to cut a pseudo-mogo out of cardboard on our laser and discovered that the mogo CADs we had were all hollow.

This posed a problem because we would be cutting out a bunch of super-thin rings, which would be impossible to glue together into a full size mogo.

Does anyone have a mogo cad that is completely solid? Or otherwise, any suggestions for making one besides just trying to go off the (not super detailed) dimensions in Appendix A?

1 Like

You can probably extrude and do some tomfoolery to make your mogo file solid

Yeah this would be your best bet. Fusion 360 has some good press/pull commands and tools. I would try that.

Here’s an old project that never came to be. It that may be useful for you.

I originally had created Team Versions of some parts of the game with the intention of them being easily 3D printed. The rings for example are to be glued together halves that have small holes that are just big enough to fit small pieces of filament to be used as aligning pins, like dowels.

Anyways, I have .stl’s and .step’s attached here of solid body components for the Mobile Goal Top, Mobile Goal Bottom, and the Ring.

Hope this helps! (63.7 MB)


Heh, looks I went a couple of STEPs further for my lot: u89djt unibody hybrid mogo.step (3.3 MB)
I did this for all the electronics, too, so we have watertight surface accurate versions of everything including the brain (that was a trial). @Sidoti do you want to compare notes and consider releasing some kind of simplified CAD set? We have the standard problem that no two people’s simplification decisions are the same.
Here’s a screenshot of my current 27 meg fusion/90 meg step file of my parts library and the harvard westlake robots simplified my way (I wouldn’t release those specific assemblies without interaction with them, of course. I’ve just noticed I didn’t put my brain on one of them.)
Google Photos
Removing internal detail makes it easier to see through things with hidden edges shown when you’re looking for that elusive joint location. That and saving space and rendering CPU/GPU% were my motivation for putting the work in.
I want to avoid being hounded to explain simplification choices, so I don’t want to just post it. I’d rather give it to someone with the time to deal with such things. The squared-off versions of things like the brain and battery are for things like Tinkercad that use meshes.
I just checked - the STEP of everything zips to 16 meg. I think I’ve made some slips in the thickness of metal in some parts, so I’ll get on with fixing those.
Space for giving links to existing parts libraries and tools:
(If you’ve released a parts library, comment and I’ll edit-in the link you give me.)