Concerns for VEX’s near future

Ideal world, each team’s adult coaches/advisor would certify robot meet inspection criteria - and I would look at lovely glam shots of robots :slight_smile:

It is complicated world - but if we ALL work together, we can find good solutions…

That said, HEY MS VRC TEAM ADVISORS - STEP UP YOUR GAME! Don’t let your teams come to an event failing inspection guidelines!!!

7 Likes

One of the big things is probs gonna be mandatory at-event temp checks

2 Likes

I agree I think teams attending competitions will probably need to hand in notes from doctors or something to that effect either before signing up or before coming to the competitions

I’m not really sure it is up the the robotics community to come up with solutions. I think schools will define the protocols and robotics must operate under their protocols. This will probably vary widely by state and school district making it really easy to hold tournaments in some places but nearly impossible in others. We all just need to stand by and see how it evolves.

6 Likes

I believe all of us agree but there’s no harm in discussion

2 Likes

IQ has already got that covered.

2 Likes

There’s also the financial considerations for schools. Buying the new game equipment, registering teams, paying for entry fees, replacing worn equipment, tools, travel expenses, etc. Even for modestly sized programs, this can quickly add up to thousands of dollars. Right now people are losing their businesses, their jobs, and watching their retirement funds, college funds, investments, and opportunities greatly diminish or even vanish. Private schools may find that many of their financially strained customers can’t afford to pay any more. When businesses are closed at the scale we have now, they don’t collect or pay as many taxes, creating huge financial deficits for states and by extension, public school districts. Robotics programs may not be a top priority when money now has to spent on finding ways to simply survive. We’ve seen art, music, and sports programs sacrificed in tough times, and folks, these are tough times for a very broad swath of people.

7 Likes

I think it is ok to think about how tournament is run… not suggesting medical protocol for venues, nor should venues get down to the level of how to do robot inspections.

Will see how things develop in the months ahead. We have insufflent information right now.

1 Like

I expect Regional Support Managers (and the RECF supporting them) to lower the minimum number of teams for some events based on how crowded the venue would be, and place more limits on how many events teams can attend at that time if there are other teams with fewer events waiting for one of those spots.

For world qualifiers, hopefully the virus is gone by the time the first ones are held, but if the large number of teams becomes an issue, I’m hoping some of them are able to be split, either in multiple regions or just multiple divisions that play at separate times or in separate venues.

I also expect many events (and Regional Support Managers) to require people to be tested for COVID-19 in order to attend their events.

Either way, I’m sure VEX and the RECF staff (plus EP’s) will do everything they can to accommodate the school districts and other organizations who need to limit their teams’ travel.

2 Likes

Same I really want to have a VEX season this year but that will be really hard. But if we could do tournaments but only students and coaches could go it would not be quite as fun as a average competition.

1 Like

My coach does not want to start robotics early because of COVID. Right now, I’m doing all that I can so we will be ready to go once he gives our team the “all clear”

2 Likes

My take is that there is a lot of value to keep student engaged in robotics even when not physically present at school or access to hardware limited or non-existent. Lots of good skills can be honed during these challenging times that will serve well in the future.

7 Likes

That is what my coach is doing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.