controller 29

Hi, can anyone tell me how could to check the controller 29 for 2 wire motor because some of our controllers doesn’t work anymore I was using at the last week and yesterday the controllers doesn’t response to the program.

what could I do??

Set up a “test bench”. Make a simple program to run a motor on port 2 of the cortex, then use a known good controller and motor to test the program. Swap out the controller for the one in question, and you’ll know real quick.

Controllers usually burn out when the motor wiring has a short at the strain relief, so check that carefully first.

thanks I’m going to check it

I’m trying to figure out why 3 of our 4 working Motor Controller 29’s would have died on a 4 motor 6 bar lift. Any thoughts? I know sometimes they go bad, but I was shocked to find that 3 of the 4 died at our last tournament.

@Powerbelly Maybe you got a bad batch? But it could be you are putting a lot of current stress through there.

Do you have rubber bands to assist your lift? What gear ratio are you running? How long/heavy is your arm?

Yes we are using rubber bands and have it to the point it is neutrally balanced (or at least pretty close). Our ratio is 5-1 and it’s all aluminum, two motors for a claw.

Current Stress? Would that be a reason for a power expander? Haven’t had good luck with those over the years either.

Maybe the power expander but have had mixed results there too and a few nasty shorts.

You may have a bad lot of MC 29’s, order some more and see if it helps. 4 motor six bar lift is pretty standard at 5:1 ratio.

if you neutrally balanced it, did you do that with a cube or a load of stars? Are there any obvious friction spots that could be happening some place that makes the motors work extra hard?

Look for nicks in the wire leading back to the Cortex. This has been a cause of current draw leading to MC 29 failure too. But all four seems odd.

Yes, that’s what a power expander is for. Just a word of caution though; if you hook up a power expander make sure to NOT put some of your lift and some of you drive motors on the power expander. The reason being that if you do that and the two batteries are at even slightly different voltages then some of your drive/lift motors will recieve different voltages then the rest of your motors, causing drift during autonomous and driver control.
Rather, you should put all your drive motors OR all your lift motors on the power expander.

@Joseph W(182 C) , I would say the opposite. One of our robots has 6 motors on the lift, with 2 on a power expander, and a pair on each of the cortex’s circuit breakers. If you split power on your drive, you just have to do it evenly front to back, not left or right. So for a 4 wheel drive, the front wheels powered by the cortex, and the rear wheels powered by the expander. That should eliminate most possibilities for drift.

Really? Hhhmmm. Must have just been something with ours. But when you do that the drive gets sent different voltages and even a small difference in voltage can cause lots of driving problems so I still would suggest against it but hey, if it works fine on your drive then good for you :slight_smile:

it happened to my team before too. We just replaced the controllers we were using because the ones we had on were used many times before.