Controller smoking

I was working on my robot and had my controller on and when I looked back at it, it was smoking and smelled like burning. What could have caused this?

It could be any number of things, whether Cortex or V5.

Contact VEX support and see about getting an RMA.

1 Like

What the heck? Never have even heard of that. I recommend contacting vex support.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s probably not a feature.
stop using it, contact vex to get a replacement.

10 Likes

If it is a legacy system - aka V4 - it is not uncommon for that to happen to motor ports 1 and 10 when you blow them out with shorts in cabling.

V5 has different failure modes that do not have magic puff of smoke of death to smart ports.

Controller, i.e. joystick.
Not Cortex, i.e. microcontroller.

2 Likes

Not clear from OP - sometimes people refer to the Cortex as the controller - OP will need to precise brain or joystick controller.

burnt smell is VERY common with Legacy robot cortex microcontroller.

2 Likes

I am using the V5 joystick controller

W A I T E X C U S E M E W H A T
Um… well at least we know what’s worse than static frying ports and the white screen of death

1 Like

Electronics failures like this are more common than one might think. Most people just don’t usually hear about them.

1 Like

If it isn’t too much trouble to ask, you could open up the controller case and post some pictures of the board/battery so we could try to figure out exactly which components blew e battery up and speculate on why.

2 Likes

Probably better to send it back to VEX to investigate and replace rather than take it apart and speculate as to the cause.

2 Likes