Cool Tetherbot Video

I was looking at some change up videos and came across this cool tetherbot by team 6210X that I thought to share. It looks like a 2m - 200 rpm drive, 1 motor 200 rpm actuated intakes, and 1 motor 600rpm roller system. Other than deploying looking to be slightly awkward, they look to be very well made and competitive.

22 Likes

Those bots are really cool, I especially love the funky triangular drive.

I think tetherbots done right could be very competitive.

6 Likes

This would also be a really easy way to get design award. How many teams can say that their robot splits into two?

(not what design award is)

7 Likes

Let me elaborate. You could explain your design process on how you got the extremely unique robot idea. I’m assuming since this is not meta that this is wasn’t very easy to build, so you can then talk about the numerous amounts of problems in your build. Programming for this looks pretty easy but you could still talk about it. Point is, there is just a lot of stuff you can talk about. Then again, if your documentation is bad and there was no collaboration on the robot, then you won’t win design award no matter how unique your robot is.

3 Likes

hard to say if they will be competitive in matches, but done right, they could dominate skills this year.

3 Likes

Would it be illegal to wrap the tether around the center post? If it isn’t, you could just wrap the tether around the central post, guaranteeing that you will have the center post and then you could just score at the other goals(assuming your tether is long enough). Then again, that could damage the fields/damage the tether, but still.

Seems like it would be better for the innovate award than the design award. Remember, a team with just a clawbot can have a better notebook (and engineering design process) and win the design award. The robot design doesn’t play as big of a role in the design award as you might think.

4 Likes

Agreed, the highlight of the DESIGN award is the DESIGN process. Our team also has a lot to talk about, from challenges of building to challenges of programming, and even budget difficulties, but describing the robots life story isn’t design worthy.

Now if that “Gemini” bot as I like to call it explained the exact challenge they were trying to overcome, collecting the proper information like motor count and size restrictions, the brainstorming process they took, the elaborate and detailed building of the robot, receiving feedback, and finally making modifications based off that feedback? Bam top contender for design.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any idea how they actually do this with just one brain?

The tether would be cables from primary bot to motors on secondary bot.

2 Likes